The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] /usr/bin/1
@ 2020-11-03 15:40 Ron Natalie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ron Natalie @ 2020-11-03 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

This memory just came back to me.     There was a UNIX disribution
(PWB/UNIX?) that had a program called 1.
It printed tis quaint bit of propaganda.

One Bell System.  It works.

This was fine until one day I’m at work in a big bull pen computer room
when Bernie, one of my co-workers, shouts.
“What’s all this Bell System crud in the editor?”

My reaction is, “Well, it’s all Bell System crud.”    I walk over to his
terminal and find he is typing 1 repeatedly at the shell prompt and
getting the above message.  (This was back in the old /bin/ed days where
1 got you to the top of the file).     I had to point out he wasn’t in
the editor.

Later that day, the program was changed to say:

You’re not in the editor, Bernie.

This I think made it into one of the BRL releases and occassionally got
inquiries as to who Bernie is.

* Re: [TUHS] /usr/bin/1
@ 2020-11-03 15:53 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-11-03 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

👍

@ 2020-11-03 16:00 ` pobox.com
From: pobox.com @ 2020-11-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: tuhs

On Nov 3, 2020, at 7:40 AM, Ron Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> This memory just came back to me.     There was a UNIX disribution (PWB/UNIX?) that had a program called 1.
> It printed tis quaint bit of propaganda.
>
> One Bell System.  It works.
>
> This was fine until one day I’m at work in a big bull pen computer room when Bernie, one of my co-workers, shouts.
> “What’s all this Bell System crud in the editor?”
>
> My reaction is, “Well, it’s all Bell System crud.”    I walk over to his terminal and find he is typing 1 repeatedly at the shell prompt and getting the above message.  (This was back in the old /bin/ed days where 1 got you to the top of the file).     I had to point out he wasn’t in the editor.
>
> Later that day, the program was changed to say:
>
> You’re not in the editor, Bernie.
>
> This I think made it into one of the BRL releases and occassionally got inquiries as to who Bernie is.

Yes, PWB/UNIX.

I seem to recall it also had /usr/bin/flog. You pass it a process ID as argument, and it was supposed to make the process work harder. (I can't remember the exact wording on the web page. In fact, I could be confused about it being in PWB.)

* Re: [TUHS] /usr/bin/1
@ 2020-11-03 20:56 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2020-11-03 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society