The DECSystem20 (and the PDP-10 before) were 36 bit two's complement machines. You had to go back to the PDP-1 if you want one's complement in the DEC line. The CDCs and UNIVACs were the only ones that were still kicking around in my era. >> >>Just to confirm, I pulled out my PDP-10 Hardware Reference Manual; Vol >>I - CPU >>(EK-10/20-HR-001), and it does indeed say (pg. 1-12): "The fixed-point >>arithmetic instructions use 2's complement representations to do >>binary >>arithmetic." Selah. > >Back in school, we had our machine organization course. When we learned >about 1's complement, the professor said "I've used a lot of machines >that had this. You will likely never see one with it. There are no >operational machines on campus with that."It stuck with me. We had a >TOPS-20 machine... the odd turn of phrase was due to a professor that >had a board of unknown origin hanging on the wall that was a rumored to >be a CDC or similar... ah, the mid 80s... Warner