The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-08 20:48 Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-04-08 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I personally lost two friends and former colleagues recently that these
list probably wants to know about.

I  just heard from Lynne Jolitz, Bill's wife.  It seems he passed away
about a month ago after a long illness.   Most of you know he was the
original force behind the BSD 386 development.   I know little more than
what I have just reported at this time, but will pass on any info as I
learn it.

Also in other news, not Unix related, but PDP-11 and the computer graphics
world.  We lost Jack Burness a few weeks ago.  Jack was the author of the
original "Moonlander" for the PDP-11 with which many of us wasted many
hours trying to pick up "a Big Mac with fries" at "Mare Assabet."  [Note: There
was no WWW/Wikipedia in those days to find it, but to look up Assabet
River, so many people naively thought it was a legitimate lunar landmark -
its the River that the DEC Maynard bldg sits]. He was a larger than life
person [his joke's mailing list was a whos-who of the computer industry -
it was an honor to be on it]. We all have a passel of stories about Jack.
I have written separately about Jack a number of times and if you have
never looked at the source to Moonlander, you own it yourself to read it.
Remember he wrote it as a throw-away demo for the GT-40 for trade show [his
integer transcendental funcs are quite instructive].   As one of the folks
on the Masscomp Alumni list put it, 'Jack was someone that just does not
deserve to die.'

This is the announcement Maureen published in the DEC Alumni list.

************************** January 20, 2022 ********************************

Our sincere condolences to Maureen Burness and all friends in CXO and
elsewhere on the passing of her husband, *Jack Burness*, 75, Colorado
Springs, who left us on January 20, 2022. Maureen said: With his bigger
than life personality, humor, and intellect, he was loved and respected by
so many people, including his devoted family. Born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946,
he received his Engineering Degree from Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute and
was employed by DEC, Maynard in the early days and then here in Colorado
Springs. Many of you knew he had a huge appetite for the outdoors of
Colorado and Martha’s Vineyard and joined him in his sometimes-disastrous
adventures.

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-08 22:29 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-04-08 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022, Clem Cole wrote:

[...]

> Also in other news, not Unix related, but PDP-11 and the computer
> graphics world.  We lost Jack Burness a few weeks ago.  Jack was the
> author of the original "Moonlander" for the PDP-11 with which many of us
> wasted many hours trying to pick up "a Big Mac with fries" at "Mare
> Assabet."  [Note: There was no WWW/Wikipedia in those days to find it,
> but to look up Assabet River, so many people naively thought it was a
> legitimate lunar landmark - its the River that the DEC Maynard bldg
> sits]. He was a larger than life person [his joke's mailing list was a
> whos-who of the computer industry - it was an honor to be on it]. We all
> have a passel of stories about Jack.  I have written separately about
> Jack a number of times and if you have never looked at the source to
> Moonlander, you own it yourself to read it.   Remember he wrote it as a
> throw-away demo for the GT-40 for trade show [his integer
> transcendental funcs are quite instructive].   As one of the folks on
> the Masscomp Alumni list put it, 'Jack was someone that just does not
> deserve to die.'

I have fond memories of playing it on the GT-40, and if Andrew Hume is
reading this he'll remember reverse-engineering the code and modifying it
for three-play operation; I think Peter Ivanov also implemented reverse
gravity...

Eventually DEC Field Circus stopped replacing GT-40 switch registers if
they'd suspected that they were used for playing it :-)

The GT-40 had a primitive loader; it was Craig McGregor of the CSU (UNSW)
who used it to download an 8-bit loader for things like Lunar Lander (I
only wrote a simple "Life" program for it, using the light-pen).

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-08 22:44   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-04-08 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> I have fond memories of playing it on the GT-40, and if Andrew Hume is
> reading this he'll remember reverse-engineering the code and modifying
> it for three-play operation; I think Peter Ivanov also implemented
> reverse gravity...

Oops; reverse gravity (for the Sun) was implemented for Space Wars (or
whatever it was called; this was ~40 years ago, so don't expect my memory
to be the best).

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-08 23:14   ` Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2022-04-08 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

i do fondly remember the gt-40 and the many hours playing on it.
and i do remember the DEC engineers being bothered about replacing the registers.

@ 2022-04-08 23:53     ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2022-04-08 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Hume; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I've never met anyone who did more than  play on a gt40, myself included. I
suspect it was something DEC sales loved, but maybe it made a lot less
profit than vt52s, decwriters and other io devices attached to your normal
11 chassis.

Perhaps some architects made good use of it?

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-09  0:28       ` Phil Budne
From: Phil Budne @ 2022-04-09  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

George Michaelson wrote:
> I've never met anyone who did more than  play on a gt40, myself included. I
> suspect it was something DEC sales loved, but maybe it made a lot less
> profit than vt52s, decwriters and other io devices attached to your normal
> 11 chassis.
>
> Perhaps some architects made good use of it?

Inside DEC they were used (with DEC-20s) to run the Stanford SUDS CAD software.

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-09  2:03         ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2022-04-09  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Budne; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Feels like a good fit. If they'd got into the right hands in a uni they'd
have been doing the same thing, but my personal sense was they mostly got
to CS departments, small volumes went to people with real world 2D and 3D
design drive, and when commodity high res scan displays went mass market
then CAD bust out and rotring pen shares went south.

There was this weird dichotomy that architecture schools would have
analogue computers because air conditioning engineers used them, but they
had to walk to the computer centre to do programming  (this was my
experience at Leeds uni  basically)

Vector graphics were sweet-as. People liked pixels better.

More people would have experienced vector scan as asteroids or the tank
game that made it into video game parlours but by then 75% plus of the
cabinets were raster displays.

The Tektronix 4010 at York was almost always free, people went to the apl
decwriter before they'd use it. I really loved it!

@ 2022-04-09  5:49     ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2022-04-09  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> I have fond memories of playing it on the GT-40, and if Andrew Hume
>> is reading this he'll remember reverse-engineering the code and
>> modifying it for three-play operation; I think Peter Ivanov also
>> implemented reverse gravity...
> Oops; reverse gravity (for the Sun) was implemented for Space Wars (or
> whatever it was called; this was ~40 years ago, so don't expect my memory
> to be the best).

I wonder how many GT40 Spacewar implementations there were?
I have seen two: one from MIT, the other from Stanford.

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-09  8:07       ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2022-04-09  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

The PDP-11/40 in the University of Toronto's Computer Research Facility
(CRF) had a GT-40, and the lead EE prof there loved the screen editor RT-11
provided for it. I never used it, but I was intrigued. (I did land the LM a
few times, though. More than a few.)

Across the raised floor aisle was the PDP-11/45, which ran Unix from 5PM to
8AM if I remember right, RT-11 the rest of the time, until some date around
1976 or 1977 (?), when Unix became an unstoppable force for innovation.

-rob

@ 2022-04-09  9:20       ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2022-04-09  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

If I recall there was a GT40 up on the fourth floor of UMCP's CS
building.   I don't remember spacewar, but there was a luner lander game
where you tried to land near the lunar McDonalds (if you crashed in to
it, it chided you for destroying the only McDonalds on the moon).

@ 2022-04-09 10:46     ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2022-04-09 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Hi,

Andrew Hume wrote:
> i do remember the DEC engineers being bothered about replacing the
> registers.

There's nothing at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Lander_(video_game_genre)#Lunar_Lander_(1973)
about the switch registers being worn by playing Burness's Moonlander.
What's the connection?

There are a couple of links from that section to interesting pages with
quotes from Burness,
    https://www.acriticalhit.com/moonlander-one-giant-leap-for-game-design
    https://www.technologizer.com/2009/07/19/lunar-lander/
which include a photo that's captioned as Burness and Moonlander from
circa '74:
    https://www.acriticalhit.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/unnamed-LG-2.png

--
Cheers, Ralph.

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-09 10:51       ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2022-04-09 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Corderoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

There was a hack to stop the game and reload fuel and go 4000 to continue.
Maybe people who did not expect the front console to be used so heavily
broke the funky rocker switches.

@ 2022-04-09 11:10         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2022-04-09 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Apr 9, 2022, 2:10 AM Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:

> The PDP-11/40 in the University of Toronto's Computer Research Facility
> (CRF) had a GT-40, and the lead EE prof there loved the screen editor RT-11
> provided for it. I never used it, but I was intrigued. (I did land the LM a
> few times, though. More than a few.)
>
> Across the raised floor aisle was the PDP-11/45, which ran Unix from 5PM
> to 8AM if I remember right, RT-11 the rest of the time, until some date
> around 1976 or 1977 (?), when Unix became an unstoppable force for
> innovation.

Also the approximate date of the rt11 emulation being viable on Unix...

Warner

@ 2022-04-09 14:30       ` Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2022-04-09 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Corderoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

the connection is that these are switch registers on the front panel.
they ae designed for occasional use, not for long sessions with
multiple people flipping them on and off for hours on end.
they did last well, but its certainly not what they were designed for.

@ 2022-04-09 16:23         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-04-09 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2022-04-10 10:14           ` Dr Iain Maoileoin
From: Dr Iain Maoileoin @ 2022-04-10 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> On 9 Apr 2022, at 17:23, Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 5:29 AM Ron Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com <mailto:ron@ronnatalie.com>> wrote:
> If I recall there was a GT40 up on the fourth floor of UMCP's CS
> building.   I don't remember spacewar, but there was a luner lander game
> where you tried to land near the lunar McDonalds (if you crashed in to
> it, it chided you for destroying the only McDonalds on the moon).
>
> That's Jack's Moonlander.

It is OK for you Americans.  We ran the GT40 in Scotland about 1974 (2nd year undergrad).

When the astronaut got out and said “a big mac to go”  we had absolutely no idea what he was talking about!
“a big mac” meant nothing and “to go” was just bad grammar.  Worse grammar than the split infinitives in star trek.

I am sure we did not have a Macdonalds in Scotland at that time.  We did have KFC under the uni - many a late-night chew while solving programming problems ….
But Macdonalds?  They were well into the 80s…...

It was years later before any of us actually understood what was being said, but yes, a great way to spend debugging hours in the early hours of the morning.
I can only just remember the use of the light pen - was that for thrust?  I have no recollection of any keyboard inputs.

Iain

* Re: [TUHS] Sad News - we last two wonderful people in the past few weeks.
@ 2022-04-10 13:40             ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-04-10 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr Iain Maoileoin; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society