Peter Weiner and 3 others founded ISC in the summer of 1977. At that time I believe he had already negotiated a UNIX license from Western Electric for Rand Corporation in Santa Monica, CA.     1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation When I joined ISC in May 1978 my first project was the porting of the UNIX environment to new VAX/VMS system from DEC. We installed the first version of that product in Germany in the Fall of 1979, and rit emained one of the major ISC products for a long time. Heinz On 3/11/2023 10:39 AM, Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 9:41 AM Clem Cole wrote: > I have never figured out who was first (Peter Weiner at ISC or the > folks at Wollongong) or the amount of the fees involved, but at some > point, both managed to negotiate a special license to redistribute > UNIX in some manner. My memory is that the commercial target had > to get some sort of license from AT&T first. My memory of the ISC > product was it was the source for your 11/70 [factiod- the Motorola > guys were using it for what would eventually become the 68000 - Les > Crudele told me they had source].  I also remember that when later > Wollongong Vax products appeared, sources were available, but I've > forgotten the details - I was never a customer -- Warner might know > more here. > > Here's what I know about TWG's products. It's tangentially related to > unix, and a bit rambly... > > After the original Unix port from Wollongong, they branched out. They > knew they couldn't compete with Berkeley sending out tapes from the > early 1980s, so they pursued two niche markets. They got into two > niche markets. They used their Unix license to sell Eunice, which had > been developed at Stanford by David Kashtan. He took BSD Unix and > managed to get enough of the kernel to run as a process (and some > device drivers?) under VMS. I don't know if he started with 4.2 or > redid the work later with 4.2, but that added networking to the VAX, > which DEC didn't have at the time. TWG marketed Eunice for a pretty > penny. The emulation wasn't very complete (though many things just > worked) owing mostly to the mismatch between the VMS process model > being super heavyweight and Unix's fork/exec being lightweight. Plus, > the pipe device driver never quite got to complete compatibility (it > lacked the ability to pass fd credentials from process to process, for > example). So it was kinda a mess. Source code was available, but hella > expensive and it was only available so that TWG could sell into the > government market that required it. TWG's > > So, v7 was kinda dead, and Eunice was a super-niche thing from the get > go, what did TWG do? Networking. They separated (poorly, imho, but > more ports better than one good port) the networking part of enuice > from the rest and marketed that as a product. It was a total hack job, > but for a product in high demand. That experience, and their > relationship with Bell Labs meant they ported the networking code to > System III and newer machines and marketed it to all of those (so we > had several 3Bx systems around running System Vr2 and newer, though we > had some machine that was system III nominally, though i don't recall > those details, but Sony NEWS, SunOS, Sun road runner, HP running unix > and non-unix, IBM maybe and a lot of others were in the QA lab). My > rather simple .cshrc and similar files date from this time period > since we had NFS running on all (many) of them. They also purchased > IP/TCP or hired someone whose name I should remember but don't to make > it good. He optimized the heck out of it to turn it into their > software to compete with FTP Software's offering. Source wasn't > available for any of this. They were going for quantity of ports, not > quality of any individual one. They also had an ISO stack that they > sunk a bunch of money into (port of BSD's to System V), but that > didn't go anywhere... > > The quality issues is why TGV got started. I have a vague memory that > David Kashtan went to SRI and redid networking for VMS right and spun > out  TGV so there was a lot of bad blood between TWG and TGV. Multinet > was cool because it could plug in ISO protocols too, and was a native > VMS thing with only the TCP stack itself being BSD code. It's > integration into VMS was quite good, and they did better at benchmarks > than TWG. I have friends still that used to work there if people are > interested in fact checking my maybe not so great memory here... > > I only ever logged into Eunice once or twice. I did a lot of work with > TWG's VMS TCP/IP product in college and went to work for them > afterwards back when I thought VMS would win over Unix (silly me). > > Warner