The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: krewat@kilonet.net (Arthur Krewat)
Subject: [TUHS] Emacs and undump
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:04:47 -0500	[thread overview]

In TOPS-10, you could detach from your current job, login again, and
keep going. Then, attach to the previous job, and go back and forth
endlessly.

As for keeping memory around, it was very common on TOPS-10 to put code
in a "hiseg" that would stick around, and was shareable between "jobs".

For something like EMACS, it would be very efficient to have the first
person run it "compile" all the LISP, leave it in the hiseg, and other
jobs can then run that code.

Not knowing anything about EMACS, I'm not sure that compiled code was
actually shareable if it was customized, just thinking out loud.

But even without leveraging the hiseg capability, it was relatively easy
to save an entire core image back to a .SAV or .LOW or later a .EXE. I
don't remember how easy it was to do that programmatically, but it was
easy from the terminal and if it saves a lot of processor time (and
elapsed time) people would have been happy to do it manually.