char (at least these days) is signed. So really, it's 7-bit ASCII. I've been bitten by the 7-bit ASCII thing when it comes to modern character sets. unsigned char gets tiresome ;) On 11/6/2017 7:25 PM, Ron Natalie wrote: > > I believe one of C’s biggest failings is that they did not solve the > schizophrenic definition of char*. > > Char* as historically implemented and then  CODIFIED in the C and C++ > standards is both the basic character type as well as the smallest > addressable unit of storage. > > Thiswas all peachy keen in the 8 bit ASCII days (and even earlier > alternative character sets such as EBCDIC, and its predecessors and > other historical character sets like UNIVAC’s fielddata_), but fell > apart when we started into the 16 bit and larger UNICODE._ > > __ > > _We needed a basic memory type that had sizeof == 1 (which void*) did > not meet and release char from having to play double duty._ > > __ > > __ > > __ > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: