On 6/13/24 15:03, Dan Cross wrote: > I may be in a bit of a grumpy mood, so forgive me if this is snarkier > than I intend, but statements like this bother me. ;-) > Second, there are many reasons beyond just "lol it crashed" that > you may want to restart dependent services; for example, perhaps you > are upgrading a system and part of the upgrade process is restarting > your dependents. Having a system that does things like that for you > is useful. It's my understanding that systemd as a service lifecycle manager is starting to take on some aspects of what cluster service managers used to do. E.g. - Are all the other dependencies this service needs up and running -> is it okay to start this service on this system? - Is the service running and responding like it should be? -> periodically check to make sure the system is returning expected results; is DNS answering queries / can I send a test email - Stop the service when it's operating outside acceptable parameters (read: failing). - Notify other related services that this service has been stopped. I'm anti-systemd *cough*Master Control Program*cough* and it's associated suite of utilities for many reasons. But I've come to accept that systemd is not just an init system. It's role of a service life cycle manager is a superset of what an init system does. It's a relatively new world (at least comparatively). I also have seriouis doubts about systemd's stability as a services life cycle manager. I've seen too many times when systems get into a wedged state that require a power fail / reset (or sys request if enabled) to recover. I've seen too many times when a systemd based system won't shut down because of some circular configuration it's gotten itself into. Without the complication of NFS servers being unreachable after taking down the network. -- Grant. . . .