The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Mary Ann Horton <mah@mhorton.net>
To: Brian Walden <tuhs@cuzuco.com>, tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] banner (was troff was not so widely usable)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 09:13:05 -0800	[thread overview]

Thank you for the kind words, and the inspiring story of your port to
FORTRAN! I was surprised to find there is a Wikipedia page for the
banner program.

This brings back earlier memories for me. In High School in 1972, our
school had an ASR33 and dial-up access to an HP BASIC system. We were
also lucky enough to be part of a scouting program that gave us access
to a UNIVAC 1108 mainframe at nearby Gulf General Atomic, where we could
keypunch and run FORTRAN programs and print onto a fast line printer.

One of my programs was a simpler banner program, printing large sideways
banners with the 5x7 dot matrix I'd seen on Decwriters and CRT
terminals. I drew and typed in the data by hand, a far simpler job since
it was only 5x7, and the output was blocky.

I supported upper and lower case, but like the terminals, there was no
room below the baseline for descenders, and characters like "g" wound up
elevated. I printed our high school catch phrase, "Debug Off Line!", and
posted above the ASR33 at school. I got lots of crap about how the g
looked like a 9.

One friend signed my senior high school yearbook with the tag line
"Debu9 Off Line!"