Sure. It's gone off topic, quite a ways. I wasn't really castigating, just marveling at the hubris. On 2/5/22 10:52 PM, Rob Pike wrote: > Be careful with your castigations. Yes, there is lots of old working > code, but keep in mind that that code has often not been as widely > tested and deployed as much of the software that runs today. The fact > that it worked well on old hardware doesn't mean it will be suitable > for modern networked remotely administered multicore machines pounded > on by millions of people. > > And speaking of multicore, it's possible to write code using > malloc/free that doesn't leak when run concurrently, but it's a lot > easier, safer, and robust to let the machine do the memory accounting. > And the fact that "kids today" can't do it doesn't mean they are lazy > or failures, it means they grew up in a different time. And a lot of > them are as capable as you all, just in a different environment. > > Lately this list has a lot of attitude and prejudice pretending to be > wisdom and superiority. > > -rob > > > On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 12:11 PM Will Senn wrote: > > On 2/5/22 6:56 PM, Larry McVoy wrote: >> On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 09:28:10PM +0100, Hellwig Geisse wrote: >>> Hi Thomas, >>> >>> On Fr, 2022-02-04 at 20:45 +0100, Thomas Paulsen wrote: >>>> I tell you one thing: I never ever experienced any problems with >>>> traditional malloc()/free().?? >>> did you ever write a program which does heavy malloc()/free() >>> on complicated (i.e., shared) data structures *and* runs for >>> days, perhaps weeks? IMO it's very difficult to do this without >>> a GC, and you have to exercise quite an amount of discipline >>> to do it right. >> I've done this and I've employed people who have done this. We're >> a dieing breed, the focus seems to be on programming languages and >> tools for idiots. People don't want to learn the discipline it takes >> to work with malloc()/free(). It's sad. > > I completely agree. This is ridiculous. Do modern programmer's > seriously think that the old code wasn't complex or robust? > Sheesh, there's code out there that has run through more millions > of transactions an hour for more years than most of these folks > have been alive. There's also code that's been running without any > updates, for decades. Most code written by the newbreed won't run > for a month without surfacing dozens of bugs. Margaret Hamilton > would prolly have some choice words for these folks. > >