The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: John Floren <john@jfloren.net>
To: ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>
Cc: "tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org" <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Depraz/Logitech Digimouse manual
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 16:52:15 +0000	[thread overview]

Ah, right. I opened the mouse because one of the encoders didn't seem to be working (it worked fine again this morning, who knows...) and discovered that there was something duct taped inside the plastic shell:

http://jfloren.net/content/depraz/inside.jpg

Peeling back the tape, I saw what I first took to be chunks of flattened beer cans:

http://jfloren.net/content/depraz/reveal.jpg

A closer look showed that they were the wrappers which cover the corks of wine bottles. Up into the 1980s, these were made out of lead, and by flattening five of them, a previous owner of the mouse was able to add quite a bit of extra weight to it:

http://jfloren.net/content/depraz/wrapper.jpg

john