The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix/Linux games [was Re: Early GUI on Linux]
@ 2023-02-28  7:48 Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2023-02-28  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: Paul Ruizendaal, tuhs

On Monday, February 27, 2023, Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 12:22 PM Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org>
> wrote:
> > Thanks all for the insights.  Let me attempt a summary.
> >
> <SNIP>

 Oh, and lots of games; I had a nice
> Solitaire version that I can no longer recall the name of.

Coming from the 8-bit microcomputer world (Atari 8-bit, C64), and then
upgrading to 16-bit (Amiga and PC MS-DOS) I experienced a myriad of
unforgettable games on those platforms. They were mostly commercial but
they were very much different from modern games. It was the era of
innovation and pouring all your soul into the games you produce. I still
think that some of them have not been surpassed in quality and playability.
I still play them on period correct hardware as they are still extremely
fun and challenging.

This is my top 10 list (sorted by year):
  * Prince of Persia
  * The Secret of Monkey Island
  * Civilization
  * Dune II
  * Master of Orion
  * Reunion
  * Warcraft
  * Ascendancy
  * Quake
  * Half-Life

As I started to play with Linux in the mid 90s I remember a port of Doom
and then Quake, but not that many other games. Can you elaborate more on
what Unix afficionados played in the late 80s/early 90s?

--Andy

* [TUHS] Re: Unix/Linux games [was Re: Early GUI on Linux]
@ 2023-02-28 10:44 ` Lars Brinkhoff
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2023-02-28 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Kosela; +Cc: Paul Ruizendaal, tuhs

Andy Kosela wrote:
> Can you elaborate more on what Unix afficionados played in the late
> 80s/early 90s?

Dungeon/Zork
Rogue
Nethack
Mazewar
XPilot

* [TUHS] Re: Unix/Linux games [was Re: Early GUI on Linux]
@ 2023-02-28 11:02   ` Arno Griffioen via TUHS
From: Arno Griffioen via TUHS @ 2023-02-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 10:44:37AM +0000, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Andy Kosela wrote:
> > Can you elaborate more on what Unix afficionados played in the late
> > 80s/early 90s?
>
> Dungeon/Zork
> Rogue
> Nethack
> Mazewar
> XPilot

Also quite a few multiplayer ones like xpilot..

'Hunt' (terminal/ASCII)
Spellcast (X11)
Crossfire (X11)

Not really a game, but hugely fun at the time 'xspringies'

						Bye, Arno.

* [TUHS] Re: Unix/Linux games [was Re: Early GUI on Linux]
@ 2023-02-28 11:06   ` Dagobert Michelsen
From: Dagobert Michelsen @ 2023-02-28 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: Paul Ruizendaal, tuhs

Hi,

> Am 28.02.2023 um 11:44 schrieb Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org>:
>
> Andy Kosela wrote:
>> Can you elaborate more on what Unix afficionados played in the late
>> 80s/early 90s?
>
> Dungeon/Zork
> Rogue
> Nethack
> Mazewar
> XPilot

xBattle, which was a multiplayer game to be run on one workstation which opened windows
for each player on different X displays - at that time (early 90s) there was no network
mode.

* [TUHS] Re: Unix/Linux games [was Re: Early GUI on Linux]
@ 2023-02-28 16:49   ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2023-02-28 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Didn't Peter Langston have a bunch of CHUI games for V6?

ISTR a car racing game where the 24x80 screen showed the driver's view
to the front, including a rear view mirror that could show other cars.

Thanks,

/Mary Ann Horton/ (she/her/ma'am)
maryannhorton.com <https://maryannhorton.com>

"This is a great book" - Monica Helms

"Brave and Important" - Laura L. Engel

       Available on Amazon and bn.com!

	<https://www.amazon.com/Trailblazer-Lighting-Transgender-Equality-Corporate-ebook/dp/B0B8F2BR9B>

@ 2023-02-28 19:45     ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2023-02-28 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton, tuhs

We all pretty much started with Adventure (Dungeon, Collosal Cave)
whatever you want to call it.

We got Zork later on.

There was Peter Langston’s Empire that had a huge following at BRL.   We
thought we had it in check because the game had it’s own limits on how
much you could play it you were limited to 60 minutes of clock time a
day and how many BTUs (bureaucratic time units) your capital made.
The problem was people would spend their time online downloading maps
and then spend the afternoon pouring over tomorrows moves.    The
director finally made us shut it down.

There was a multiplayer game called “search” that we would play.   Late
in the day you’d hear someone yell “Search’s up” and off we go.

Then we got the SGI  workstations and flew the flight simulator.   They
had a multiplayer dogfight but it used XNS which our network wasn’t
going to handle (at least not off the local subnet).   I recoded it to
use TCP.  Rather than using broadcast packets, each “airplane” opened a
connection to a server I called “Air Traffic Control.”   From there I
could watch the whole thing.    I also added an anti-aircraft gun to
shoot at people hanging around the airfield waiting to attack aircraft
that newly appeared in the game there.    A few months later I was at
Nasa Ames for an IETF meeting and mentioned I had done this and they
made me sit down and ftp over the code so NASA’s productivity could also
be destroyed.

Ron “A hollow voice says ‘plugh’ Natalie

* [TUHS] Re: Unix/Linux games [was Re: Early GUI on Linux]
@ 2023-02-28 20:01       ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-02-28 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: tuhs

There's also the venerable Hunt the Wumpus. We had an RS/6000 gathering dust in the server room at my old lab. I would often rsh into it to play wump or quiz when things were slow. I don't remember what all else it had, it was some AIX 4.x release. If that server is still extant I should see if they're planning on offloading it any time soon.....a personal RS/6000 could be fun...

- Matt G.

@ 2023-02-28 20:24       ` Dr Iain Maoileoin
From: Dr Iain Maoileoin @ 2023-02-28 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Natalie; +Cc: tuhs