At Sun, 19 Jan 2020 14:22:29 -0700, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote: Subject: [TUHS] Shell Level... > > Have you ever used shell level, $SHLVL, in your weekly ~> daily use of Unix? I invented my own variant, $LEV, for Ksh, starting before 1993, probably when I first started using DMD-5620 terminals and layers, though possibly slightly before that when I first started using Ksh (about 1989 when I bought a used ATT3B2/400 for home use). I used my own $LEV in my prompt (or the window title, if using a windowing system) just to remind me if I'd started a sub-shell for some reason, such as in order to preserve my current working directory and environment. Early Ksh didn't have $SHLVL, and it's not universal (i.e. POSIX), so I've never really used $SHLVL itself (though I have very recently added a hook to set my $LEV from it IFF it is available). See https://github.com/robohack/dotfiles :-) -- Greg A. Woods Kelowna, BC +1 250 762-7675 RoboHack Planix, Inc. Avoncote Farms