At Mon, 20 Jan 2020 09:15:56 +0100, markus schnalke wrote: Subject: Re: [TUHS] Shell Level... > > What's the use of it? The only use of $SHLVL I can think of is the > answer to the question if ^D will close the last shell or just a > sub shell. I hardly ever ask myself this question. Probably that > starts to become relevant when you open sub shells frequently. I've always just used "set ignoreeof" (first in Csh and later in Ksh), but just in my initial login shell (i.e. set in ~/.login), to prevent ^D from logging me out. -- Greg A. Woods Kelowna, BC +1 250 762-7675 RoboHack Planix, Inc. Avoncote Farms