At Tue, 21 Jan 2020 13:46:14 -0700, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote: Subject: Re: [TUHS] Shell Level... > > [1 ] > On 1/20/20 4:55 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote: > > I've always just used "set ignoreeof" (first in Csh and later in > > Ksh), but just in my initial login shell (i.e. set in ~/.login), to > > prevent ^D from logging me out. > > It sounds like you're making your initial / login shell behave > differently based on the shell level. More like the other way around -- all sub-shells behave differently based on the fact they're not login shells. Note I also considered (and still consider) all initial shells in each "window" to be a "login" shell. In the days of "layers" (e.g. on the DMD5620) I did that by inspecting the environment to look for clues that the shell was started by "layers", but ever since X11 took over my life (and my DMDs have been scrapped and/or put into storage) I've used XTerm's "-ls" option to make the shell a "real" login shell. The $LEV (or $SHLVL) value is just an indicator, one that I only ever used as a visual cue/clue. -- Greg A. Woods Kelowna, BC +1 250 762-7675 RoboHack Planix, Inc. Avoncote Farms