The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Command options and complexity
@ 2020-03-13  3:04 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-03-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> -,: Make the option standard: output numbers with commas every 3 digits

A terrible idea. Whatever ls outputs should be easy for other
programs to read, and few know how to read commafied numbers.
As others have mentioned, this is also a strong argument for
changing the output representation of dates.

I often do mailx -H | sort -t/ -k2nr to sort in reverse order of size--a
quick way to find the pay dirt when I want to shrink my mailbox.
This would never fly if the sizes had commas. (Well, I suppose I
could add sed s/,//g to the pipeline.)

Doug