At Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:02:25 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote: Subject: Re: [TUHS] Book Recommendation > > HP was much better than AIX, you could ignore their admin crud and > just edit the /etc files and stuff worked. With AIX, I never figured > out how to not use SMIT, it was pretty intertwined with everything. SMIT was really just a front end to the underlying commands and the files they edited; and as such a useful agent to help one figure out the IBM way of things. Under the hood it was all command-line and files and databases, and SMIT could be configured to tell you exactly what it was doing, and once you learned what to do you could easily avoid it entirely. It was basically created so that the office manager could also be the system manager. AIX though was like a lot of more enterprisy Unixes -- too much Not Invented Here Syndrome affecting their additions to the basic system, and as a result everything beyond what we now call POSIX was unique to it. -- Greg A. Woods Kelowna, BC +1 250 762-7675 RoboHack Planix, Inc. Avoncote Farms