At Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:48:30 -0500, "Theodore Ts'o" wrote: Subject: Re: [TUHS] Photos of University Computer Labs - now off topic > > There have been patches proposed, but it turns out the sticky wicket > is that we're out of signal numbers on most architectures. Huh. What an interesting "excuse"! (Not that I know anything useful about the implementation in Linux....) > There are > code points that potentially could be repurposed, since they aren't > actually signaled from the kernel: > > SIGLOST - Term File lock lost (unused) > SIGSTKFLT - Term Stack fault on coprocessor (unused) If SIGLOST were used/needed it would seem like a very bad system design. > It's not impossible to deal with this, but no one has cared enough to > really try to push this through as a new feature. I personally can't stand using Linux, even casually for a very short sys-admin task, because of this missing feature. I think I would find it nearly impossible to go back to SysVr4 without SIGINFO too. It's just too damn convenient and useful, especially with ever more tools and utilities gaining interesting support for it. -- Greg A. Woods Kelowna, BC +1 250 762-7675 RoboHack Planix, Inc. Avoncote Farms