The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] PWB/UNIX 1.0 on the PDP-11/23+
@ 2021-03-08 15:45 Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS @ 2021-03-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Following my success in getting 6th Edition UNIX running on a KDF11-B,
with support for the MSCP disk controller, I was looking for ways to get
as new a tool chain as possible onto it, with full source code (as I'd
been using the tool chain from UNSW, for which the source is missing).

Well, it turns out that there's an even newer one in PWB, and there are
complete source and binary PWB distributions in the TUHS archive!

I now have PWB/UNIX 1.0 running, and completely rebuilt from its own
sources, on one of my physical /23+ boxes (and, of course, in simh).

It's connected to my main (NetBSD) system using UUCP over a serial line.

Oh, and it runs the University Ingres RDBMS.  :)

The write-up (and download) is at https://www.hamartun.priv.no/pwb.html

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-03-08 15:46 UTC | newest]