Warner Losh writes: >> Getting early NetBSD in there would help complete the continuity, seeing >> as NetBSD was a fork of 386BSD, and FreeBSD a later fork of NetBSD. > > FreeBSD was never a fork of NetBSD. OpenBSD was a later fork of NetBSD. > FreeBSD and NetBSD both forked from the patch kits that were produced for > the 386BSD project. I stand corrected! Looking at Éric Lévénez' time line of Unix, I see that you're right. In my own recollection, the FreeBSD split, which happened a few months after Chris Demetriou and others started NetBSD, was out of NetBSD -- but it seems it was, after all, a parallel fork from Bill Jolitz' code base. (The whole thing triggered because he didn't adopt the patch kits, and the NetBSD/FreeBSD separation taking place because of differences of opinion on multi-architecture support.) And, while it's a subject: the split was on very friendly terms. :) -tih -- Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity. --Niles Crane, "Frasier"