The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
To: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 20:12:37 +0200	[thread overview]

Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> writes:

> That said, as one of those 'grey beards,' can I recommend that you
> stop, and go to a technical library or bookstore and find yourself a
> copy of Rob and Brian's wonderful book: "*The Unix Programming
> Environment*" (*a.k.a* "UPE" or ISBN 0-13-937699-2) *then do the
> exercises*.

That is a great book - I'd been a Unix sysadmin for more than a decade
when I got it, and I learned a lot of new stuff from it.  Twenty years
later, that book is still among my favorites, along with their newer
joint effort, "The Practice of Programming".  Then there's the AWK book,
of course, and just about anything else with Brian Kernighan's name on
it.  It's like with Date on database systems, or Stevens on networking;
you just know it's going to be good.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay