The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: schoedel@kw.igs.net (Kevin Schoedel)
Subject: [TUHS] Some tapes
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 01:07:05 -0400	[thread overview]

>> - UNIX V5 (handwritten label dated Feb 7 1977): one 2400' tape
>
>Yes!  Do you know if it's source or object?

No idea. I assume it's a system backup tape, rather than a distribution tape,
since it has six dates written on the label, the last marked 'archived. One
can hope that the system had sources online; it is a 2400' tape, and a slight
difference in appearance between the inside and outside suggests it might be
about 2/3 full. (These tapes, by the way, came from the University of
Waterloo.)

There's also that unidentified short tape with a Bell Labs notice -- is the
wording enough to identify the version (assuming it is a UNIX tape)? This one
reads "THIS INFORMATION IS PROPRIETARY AND IS THE PROPERTY OF BELL TELEPHONE
LABORATORIES, INC. ITS REPRODUCTION OR DISCLOSURE TO OTHERS, EITHER ORALLY OR
IN WRITING, IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION OF BELL LABORATORIES."

--
Kevin Schoedel
schoedel at kw.igs.net