The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Wiki Page on UNIX Standards
@ 2024-06-05 23:21 segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2024-06-05 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Good day everyone, I just wanted to share that I've put up a bit of info as well as some book covers concerning UNIX standards that were published from the 80s til now:

https://wiki.tuhs.org/doku.php?id=publications:standards

I did my best to put down a bit of information about the /usr/group, POSIX, SVID, and SUS/Open Group standards, although there's certainly more to each story than what I put down there.  Still, hopefully it serves to lay out a bit of the history of the actual standards produced over time.

I'm kicking myself because one of the things I could've produced a picture of but didn't save at the time is the cover of IEEE 1003.2, a copy of this popped up on eBay some time in the past year and for reasons I can't recall I didn't order it, nor did I save the picture from the auction at the time.  In any case, if anyone has any published standards that are not visually represented in this article, I'm happy to add any photos or scans you can provide to the page.

Also pardon if the bit on spec 1170/SUS may be shorter than the others.  Admittedly even having most of this on the desk in front of me right now, I'm fuzzy on the lines between POSIX, the Single UNIX Specification, the "Open Group Specification", spec 1170, etc. or if these are all names that ultimately just refer to different generations of the same thing.  Part of getting this information put down is hoping someone will be along to correct inaccuracies :)

Anywho, that's all for now.  Feel free to suggest any corrections or additions!

- Matt G.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-06-05 23:21 UTC | newest]