The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Anyone have a modem wired up?
@ 2021-10-23 23:43 John Floren
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: John Floren @ 2021-10-23 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I'm experimenting with my PiDP-11; I think I may have my modem set up properly to accept incoming calls, but with only one phone line I'm unable to test it. If anyone with a modem is willing to help me test, send me a message off-list and I'll give you my phone number & some login details.

john

* Re: [TUHS] Anyone have a modem wired up?
@ 2021-10-24  0:56 ` Warner Losh
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2021-10-24  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I have a couple of modems in the basement.... and I was just thinking it
would be nice to find a new home for them, so if anybody is looking for a
couple of external modems, let me know and I'll figure out which flavor of
US Robotics modems I have.

@ 2021-10-24  1:29 ` Kenneth Goodwin
From: Kenneth Goodwin @ 2021-10-24  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

If you have two models connected to two computers. You might be able to
test your setup by connecting a null modem phone cable between the phone
line ports of both modem.
Basically crossing transmit pairs from one side to the receive pairs of the
other modem and vice-versa.  Not sure if it will work without dial tone
from the phone line present. But there might setting in your modems
configuration that would activate what is needed for such a modem to.modem
direct link.

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021, 7:50 PM John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with my PiDP-11; I think I may have my modem set up
> properly to accept incoming calls, but with only one phone line I'm unable
> to test it. If anyone with a modem is willing to help me test, send me a
> message off-list and I'll give you my phone number & some login details.
>
> john

* Re: [TUHS] Anyone have a modem wired up?
@ 2021-10-24 15:36 ` Dan Cross
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-10-24 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021, 7:50 PM John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with my PiDP-11; I think I may have my modem set up
> properly to accept incoming calls, but with only one phone line I'm unable
> to test it. If anyone with a modem is willing to help me test, send me a
> message off-list and I'll give you my phone number & some login details.

I'd be less surprised by folks having modems (which seem like the kind of
thing that gets tossed into a box and forgotten about for a few decades
until eventually uncovered by a bout of decluttering) and more surprised by
people having suitable phone lines to use them.

        - Dan C.

* Re: [TUHS] Anyone have a modem wired up?
@ 2021-10-24 16:14   ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2021-10-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021, 7:50 PM John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with my PiDP-11; I think I may have my modem set up
> properly to accept incoming calls, but with only one phone line I'm unable
> to test it. If anyone with a modem is willing to help me test, send me a
> message off-list and I'll give you my phone number & some login details.

Don't have on wired up, but if anybody wants 'em I have a random stack
of them sitting in a box in the basement.

* Re: [TUHS] Anyone have a modem wired up?
@ 2021-10-24 16:37   ` Larry Stewart
From: Larry Stewart @ 2021-10-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> On Oct 24, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Oct 23, 2021, 7:50 PM John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:
>> I'm experimenting with my PiDP-11; I think I may have my modem set up properly to accept incoming calls, but with only one phone line I'm unable to test it. If anyone with a modem is willing to help me test, send me a message off-list and I'll give you my phone number & some login details.
>

> I'd be less surprised by folks having modems (which seem like the kind of thing that gets tossed into a box and forgotten about for a few decades until eventually uncovered by a bout of decluttering) and more surprised by people having suitable phone lines to use them.
>
>         - Dan C.

With a second modem, an Analog telephone adapter, and a free Google Voice account you could do it.  Might have to set the ATA to G.711 to properly pass modem signals.
Or you could set up an Asterix server and run your own private phone network.

I am surprised there doesn't seem to be an open source soft-modem that directly speaks SIP protocols, but there is a commercial one at https://www.vocal.com/voip/sip-software-modem/

@ 2021-10-24 16:51   ` Dr Iain Maoileoin
From: Dr Iain Maoileoin @ 2021-10-24 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 10/24/21 4:36 PM, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2021, 7:50 PM John Floren <john@jfloren.net
> <mailto:john@jfloren.net>> wrote:
>
>     I'm experimenting with my PiDP-11; I think I may have my modem set
>     up properly to accept incoming calls, but with only one phone line
>     I'm unable to test it. If anyone with a modem is willing to help
>     me test, send me a message off-list and I'll give you my phone
>     number & some login details.
>

> I'd be less surprised by folks having modems (which seem like the kind
> of thing that gets tossed into a box and forgotten about for a few
> decades until eventually uncovered by a bout of decluttering) and more
> surprised by people having suitable phone lines to use them.
>
>         - Dan C.

You should live in rural Scotland Sir.

Broadband is NEX in places - for example where I live.  512K download
(max) more normally 380K!  Forget FTTC or FTTP - I have CTTM - tandard
old-fashioned Copper to the Modem.

I still need to use a 19.2K modem when the going gets tough.

If you want to try an AA modem number I can send you it - but it is
Scottish (UK) based.

If you contact me off-list I can try tomorrow.

Iain

* Re: [TUHS] Anyone have a modem wired up?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-10-27 18:17 ` Chris Hanson
From: Chris Hanson @ 2021-10-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Obihai makes some decent, cheap-on-eBay, unlockable/hackable analog VoIP boxes that work just fine with not-super-fast modems. You won’t get 56K or even 33.6, but 9600-14.4K should be fine and a Telebit Trailblazer probably would be too if you want to use UUCP over dialup…

  — Chris

* Re: [TUHS] Anyone have a modem wired up?
@ 2021-10-27 18:29   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2021-10-27 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Hanson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wednesday, October 27th, 2021 at 11:17 AM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson@eschatologist.net> wrote:

> Obihai makes some decent, cheap-on-eBay, unlockable/hackable analog VoIP boxes that work just fine with not-super-fast modems. You won’t get 56K or even 33.6, but 9600-14.4K should be fine and a Telebit Trailblazer probably would be too if you want to use UUCP over dialup…
>
> — Chris

I've got a Grandstream HT801 through my ISP (Sonic.net) which works fine for voice, and it previously did ok with the modem, but now when I try, I start to get garbage soon after the connection establishes (see http://jfloren.net/noise.jpg for an example). It happens regardless of who I connect to, and seemingly without regard for the connection speed--although at 9600, the garbage fills up the screen quite rapidly compared to a rather sedate trickle at 4800.

My modem-fu is rather weak, so if anyone recognizes what's going on, please let me know. I worry that it's just a noisy phone connection, but I was under the impression that modems had some sort of error-correction built in (this is a SupraFaxModem 288).

@ 2021-10-27 18:51     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-10-27 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society