Arthur Krewat writes: > On 9/20/2017 1:53 PM, Henry Bent wrote: >> On 20 September 2017 at 12:58, Arthur Krewat > > wrote: >> >> A note on the PC hardware front: >> >> >> How do you feel about the fact that Solaris is essentially EOL now?  >> I'm sure it will be reasonable to run for another year or two, but >> where will you go after that? >> > > Don't make me cry in my coffee :( > > Personally, I'll either run with it for as long as I can and deal with > it, and hope that Oracle at least releases the last ZFS so it can be > incorporated somewhere, or go back to FreeBSD which I used to run before > Solaris X86 was available to me as Solaris 7, and use the earlier > version of ZFS. > > Professionally, there's only Linux now - I'll use Oracle Linux for > servers with Oracle products on them, but even then, I'm not liking the > NUMA support. No need to cry.. at Dayjob we run Joyent SmartOS, which is Solaris done by a bunch of former Sun folks. Oracle need not apply.. There is a private cloud infrastructure running a very large e-commerce site on it. You may want to look into SmartOS or OmniOS if you want more of a desktop experience. Patches and pretty good support.... all around. At Not Dayjob, it is all NetBSD. Some i386/amd64 bare metal, lots of Xen and some arm since 1993 or so. -- Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS http://anduin.eldar.org - & - http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]