The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
To: arnold@skeeve.com
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org, simh@groups.io
Subject: [TUHS] Re: DG UNIX History
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 12:37:52 -0500	[thread overview]

arnold@skeeve.com writes:

> I'm pretty sure that DG never ported DG-UX to the Nova. There was
> a native port to the Eclipse (32 bit).  There was also a Eunice-style
> Unix environment that sat on top of their native OS, whatever it was
> called.

AOS and then AOS/VS for the Eclipse.  In the late 1980s and early 1990s
I messed a whole lot with AOS/VS at the university I was at.  It was
very much Not Unix.  Towards the end of my time there, a number of
programs that traditionally would be on a Unix system, things like
sendmail, ftpd, and etc.. were natively ported to AOS/VS.  The ports
were probably done as best as they could have been, but they lacked a
whole lot of ability if I remember things correctly.

After I left, the university acquired a DG of some sort that ran DG-UX
(or DGUX).

[snip]

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org