The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org>
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: 3B21D
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2024 20:22:05 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thursday, July 4th, 2024 at 1:14 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2024, 2:02 PM Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I now have this pictured 3B21D in my facility
> > http://kev009.com/wp/2024/07/Lucent-5ESS-Rescue/
> >
> > It will be a moment before I can start work on documentation of the
> > 3B21D and DMERT/UNIX-RTR but wanted to share the news.
>

> Awesome accomplished. Can't wait to see the outcome.
>
> Warner
>

> > Regards,
> > Kevin

Kudos, I'm quite envious, this is awesome news!  I appreciate your writeup, touching on the odd world this lives in, between computer and telecom appliance.  Whether the 3B20 family was liked out in the general computing world or not, the impact on telecommunications is clear with the long shadow of the 5ESS family of switches.

Hopefully Lucent was still keen on providing /usr/src and /usr/man :)

I'm still holding out hope a WECo-era machine pops up someday...but either way, glad to finally see something in this lineage in the hands of someone with a keen eye for UNIX and Bell System history!

- Matt G.