On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Jacob Goense wrote: >>> It got me curious about where 386BSD ended though. Did anyone save >>> the 386BSD Reference CD-ROM Release 1.0 from /dev/null? >> >> Yes, I have a copy.  It was pretty much useless.  All the >> documentation was in some Microsoft format, and I couldn't read it. >> Unfortunately Dr Dobbs has a copyright on it, or I could upload it for >> the curious. Using tools that were not available 15 years ago, Google search for "windows+help+file+reader" leads me to, among others: which looks promising. Of course I don't have anything to try exercising it on. > That's about what I understood from as well from reading this column > at http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/tin/P/199503.shtml > >  "The 386BSD release CD-ROM includes a mixture of BSD and Jolitz code, >  articles, and what have you. The files are hyperlinked with a global >  glossary and index to illustrate the structure and interdependence in >  the discussion of the system files. > > The stuff in WinHelp format being useless, ok, but what about the > system on the CD, did you ever try booting and installing it? Maybe WinHelp format has not changed over the decades. carl -- carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego clowenstein at ucsd.edu