Void Linux discussion
* Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25  9:25 jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

My laptop hard drive died, so as an interim solution, I wanted to install
Void Linux on a removable hard drive [/dev/sdb1].

I started with the current 64-bit MUSL live image.  The void-installer
script, run as root, fails to complete, complaining about expecting to find
an efi setup.  Rather than get involved with efi , I tried

  mkdir /usb
  mount /dev/sdb1 /usb
  <create /usb/boot/grub/grub.cfg with suitable menu item>
  grub-install --target=i384-pc --boot-directory=/usb/boot  /dev/sdb
  umount /usb

which completed without errors.  However, on reboot, I get the grub menu
from the failed hard drive.

I also ran fdisk on /dev/sdb to mark the partition bootable.  What have I
missed?  Thanks.

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25  9:33 ` Igor Fontana
From: Igor Fontana @ 2019-06-25  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacksprat; +Cc: voidlinux

> My laptop hard drive died, so as an interim solution, I wanted to install Void Linux on a removable hard drive [/dev/sdb1].
>
> I started with the current 64-bit MUSL live image.  The void-installer script, run as root, fails to complete, complaining about expecting to find an efi setup.  Rather than get involved with efi , I tried
>
>   mkdir /usb
>   mount /dev/sdb1 /usb
>   <create /usb/boot/grub/grub.cfg with suitable menu item>
>   grub-install --target=i384-pc --boot-directory=/usb/boot  /dev/sdb
>   umount /usb
>
> which completed without errors.  However, on reboot, I get the grub menu from the failed hard drive.
>
> I also ran fdisk on /dev/sdb to mark the partition bootable.  What have I missed?  Thanks.

Back in the days you had to set the drive you wanted to boot on the
BIOS setup. I'm not sure about EFI (my PC is still BIOS) but I'd
expect the same.

<3

--
Pudding

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 10:33   ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

My laptop is setup so that it tries USB first, then reverts to hard drive
if no suitable USB device is present.

@ 2019-06-25 10:40     ` Igor Fontana
From: Igor Fontana @ 2019-06-25 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacksprat; +Cc: voidlinux

> My laptop is setup so that it tries USB first, then reverts to hard drive if no suitable USB device is present.

Oh yes, I've faced this in the past too. Some computers have a boot
menu, and you have to boot your drive from there, otherwise it won't
work, even if you put USB boot on the BIOS setup. Just like the "press
delete to enter setup", some have a "press f8 (or f12 or some other
key) to enter boot menu".

--
Pudding

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 11:07       ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

If I insert the USB drive with the Void Linux live system, then t boots.
OK, that probably uses syslinux and not GRUB.  Installing GRUB on the hard
drive [/dev/sda] always works, so why not /dev/sdb?

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 11:39:15 AM UTC+1, space pudim wrote:

> > My laptop is setup so that it tries USB first, then reverts to hard
> drive if no suitable USB device is present.
>
> Oh yes, I've faced this in the past too. Some computers have a boot
> menu, and you have to boot your drive from there, otherwise it won't
> work, even if you put USB boot on the BIOS setup. Just like the "press
> delete to enter setup", some have a "press f8 (or f12 or some other
> key) to enter boot menu".
>
> --
> Pudding

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 12:56         ` Igor Fontana
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Igor Fontana @ 2019-06-25 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacksprat; +Cc: voidlinux

> If I insert the USB drive with the Void Linux live system, then t boots.  OK, that probably uses syslinux and not GRUB.  Installing GRUB on the hard drive [/dev/sda] always works, so why not /dev/sdb?

Did you try Void Live on the same USB device you want to install it on?

I've seen this many times: some devices get listed as "USB Storage",
and some as "USB HDD" (even sticks), and it won't get matched by the
BIOS, even though it's all USB.

The solution was to select the thing manually from the boot menu - not
the BIOS setup. But then it may be the case that your BIOS is just
unable to boot on that particular device. If you didn't try the Void
Live on the same device, I would advise you to do so.

--
Pudding

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 13:38           ` Jeff Pohlmeyer
From: Jeff Pohlmeyer @ 2019-06-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Fontana; +Cc: jacksprat, voidlinux

Did you set the bootable (active) flag of the boot partition on the USB drive?

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 13:46           ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I suppose it is possible that there is something peculial about the USB
drive that I am trying to install to:  Samdung EVO SSD connected via an
ORICO USB case.  I will try using ann identical USB "pen drive" to the one
that I wrote the Void Linux Live image.  If so, it would be a pitty as the
Samsung SSDs are cool.

@ 2019-06-25 13:53             ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

While using the Void Live instance, use used

  fdisk /dev/sdb

and set the partition bootable.  I don't know any other way to mark the
device bootable.

@ 2019-06-25 13:58               ` Igor Fontana
From: Igor Fontana @ 2019-06-25 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacksprat; +Cc: voidlinux

El mar., 25 de jun. de 2019 14:53, jacksprat <picamanic@gmail.com> escribió:

> While using the Void Live instance, use used
>
>   fdisk /dev/sdb
>
> and set the partition bootable.  I don't know any other way to mark the
> device bootable.

btw did you check if your USB HDD shows up as a regular HDD on the BIOS?

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 14:07                 ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

The BIOS [HP] doesn't say anything about what type of device is plugged
into the USB port.

@ 2019-06-25 14:11                   ` Igor Fontana
From: Igor Fontana @ 2019-06-25 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacksprat; +Cc: voidlinux

El mar., 25 de jun. de 2019 15:07, jacksprat <picamanic@gmail.com> escribió:

> The BIOS [HP] doesn't say anything about what type of device is plugged
> into the USB port.

It could be listed together with the regular HDDs, not on the USB page.

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 14:25               ` Jeff Pohlmeyer
From: Jeff Pohlmeyer @ 2019-06-25 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacksprat; +Cc: voidlinux

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:53 AM jacksprat <picamanic@gmail.com> wrote:

> While using the Void Live instance, use used
>   fdisk /dev/sdb
> and set the partition bootable.  I don't know any other way to mark the device bootable.

Yes, that's what I meant. You can double-check by running:

fdisk   -l  /dev/sdb

and see if there is a star * next to the boot partition.

 -- Jeff

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 14:37                 ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

yes, fdisk has the partition marked with an asterisk/star.

@ 2019-06-25 15:34           ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Well, I tried install to the identical pen drive that booted Void Linux
Live, and repeated what I did to grub-install, and the resultant USB drive
booted!  However, the boot sequence died running the initramfs, just after
running dracut on the first partition of my HD [/dev/sda1].  I have aleady
seen my error in the grub.cfg file [scream].  This is going too be hard
work, but worth it in the end [?].  Just got to remember how grub.cfg is
coded..

@ 2019-06-25 15:40             ` Igor Fontana
From: Igor Fontana @ 2019-06-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacksprat; +Cc: voidlinux

El mar., 25 de jun. de 2019 16:34, jacksprat <picamanic@gmail.com> escribió:

> Well, I tried install to the identical pen drive that booted Void Linux
> Live, and repeated what I did to grub-install, and the resultant USB drive
> booted!  However, the boot sequence died running the initramfs, just after
> running dracut on the first partition of my HD [/dev/sda1].  I have aleady
> seen my error in the grub.cfg file [scream].  This is going too be hard
> work, but worth it in the end [?].  Just got to remember how grub.cfg is
> coded..

Maybe LILO is still an option?

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-25 16:59               ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Lilo?  Ii haven't given up trying to get grub.cfg right.  here is a fragment

#
menuentry 'Void GNU/Linux 4.18.17 [sda1]' {
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd0,msdos1'
    echo    'Loading Linux 4.18.17_1 ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-4.18.17_1 root=/dev/sda1 ro
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd    /boot/initramfs-4.18.17_1.img
}

It is the "set root" line that I suspect is wrong, but if "msdos1"=1st
partition, why do both "hd0" and "hd1" fail?  Close..

@ 2019-06-25 17:23                 ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

In the grub.cfg below, I fixed "sda1" to "sdb1".  Still no go..

@ 2019-06-25 18:32                 ` Jeffrey Sheinberg
From: Jeffrey Sheinberg @ 2019-06-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 09:59:54AM -0700, jacksprat wrote:

> menuentry 'Void GNU/Linux 4.18.17 [sda1]' {
>     insmod gzio
>     insmod part_msdos
>     insmod ext2
>     set root='hd0,msdos1'
Try this:
      set root='(hd0,msdos1)'

Regards,

--
Jeffrey Sheinberg

* Re: Trying to Install on USB drive using GRUB
@ 2019-06-26  5:46 ` jacksprat
From: jacksprat @ 2019-06-26  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux