My laptop is setup so that it tries USB first, then reverts to hard drive if no suitable USB device is present. On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 10:32:16 AM UTC+1, space pudim wrote: > > > My laptop hard drive died, so as an interim solution, I wanted to > install Void Linux on a removable hard drive [/dev/sdb1]. > > > > I started with the current 64-bit MUSL live image. The void-installer > script, run as root, fails to complete, complaining about expecting to find > an efi setup. Rather than get involved with efi , I tried > > > > mkdir /usb > > mount /dev/sdb1 /usb > > > > grub-install --target=i384-pc --boot-directory=/usb/boot /dev/sdb > > umount /usb > > > > which completed without errors. However, on reboot, I get the grub menu > from the failed hard drive. > > > > I also ran fdisk on /dev/sdb to mark the partition bootable. What have > I missed? Thanks. > > Back in the days you had to set the drive you wanted to boot on the > BIOS setup. I'm not sure about EFI (my PC is still BIOS) but I'd > expect the same. > > <3 > > > -- > Pudding > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "voidlinux" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to voidlinux+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to voidlinux@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/voidlinux/062ee18d-0306-4c68-bba6-da0a638f996a%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.