I have strange case of a machine where Voidlinux fails to install correctly. Let me start by saying that I'm using Voidlinux on several computers/VMs and I'm now getting used to setting it up. Still there is this one computer where I can't figure out what's going on. I'm installing the OS to a usb stick and the computer in question is a Core2Quad running on a X38 motherboard. Also note that a different flavor of Linux installs and runs fine on it. The install procedure itself completes without error: What happens afterward it that the PC freezes at the bios level. After processor detection, freeze occurs at memory count, only the letter "M" is displayed: Void-installer boots fine but as soon as the key with newly installed Void is plugged in during BIOS screen it freezes. I tried reinstalling grub manually with verbose output and it doesn't throw an error: Just a bit curious about this part --prefix '(,msdos1)/boot/grub' Shouldn't there be a device before the comma ? Digging a bit deeper, I analyzed MBR on that key after dumping it into nonworking.mbr file: What strikes me is that huge part full of zero from offsets 10 to 50. Comparing to a working installation there is plenty of data in that area. Images were also uploaded here: http://imgur.com/a/deBq0 So I'm turning to your expertise. If you have any idea or hint I'm all ears.