Void Linux discussion
* [void musl] mkfifo buffer exhibiting unexpected behaviour
@ 2019-01-17  7:14 Steven Hum
From: Steven Hum @ 2019-01-17  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I posted this on the musl mailing list (after being redirected on the
voidlinux reddit forum):

> Running this simple test using clock from sutils to produce a repeating
one second interval input stream..

> mkfifo fifo
> clock -i 1 -sf "T> stream one" >fifo &
> clock -i 1 -sf "D> stream two" >fifo &
> cat fifo
>
> on void musl only the second fifo input stream is displayed.
> on void glibc, both input streams are displayed interleaved as expected.
>
> Are fifo buffers handled differently under musl?

The reply was:

*No, aside from possible stdio buffering it's entirely a kernel matter.*
I looked up the sutils source and see it's flushing after each output,
and tried it on an Alpine-based box here (with musl) and could not
reproduce what you're seeing. Both outputs are visible and roughly
interleaved (although their order sometimes swaps with scheduling, of
course).

--

So... is this a bug within void musl?

Regards,