Fixed! Thanks to everyone for their help. Especially JD Robinson's lxdm hint. The problem was entirely mine. I missed the one regular file (i.e non-symlink) in /usr/sbin with the virtual terminal switching every 4 seconds so I didn't delete it. I started from scratch again, stopped lxdm and then I could see it. After rebooting and dkms remove -m nvidia -v 346.72 -k $(uname -r) dkms build -m nvidia -v 346.72 -k $(uname -r) dkms install -m nvidia -v 346.72 -k $(uname -r) modprobe -v nvidia sv start lxdm and I was back to a graphical desktop.