Void Linux discussion
* failure to boot after install
@ 2017-05-04  8:52 Pierre B
From: Pierre B @ 2017-05-04  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I have strange case of a machine where Voidlinux fails to install correctly.

Let me start by saying that I'm using Voidlinux on several computers/VMs
and I'm now getting used to setting it up.
Still there is this one computer where I can't figure out what's going on.
I'm installing the OS to a usb stick and the computer in question is a
Core2Quad running on a X38 motherboard.
Also note that a different flavor of Linux installs and runs fine on it.

The install procedure itself completes without error:
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s6nlWys386o/WQrnVQndiVI/AAAAAAAAC18/trGL4VhsLYQvompN7UDEgXgorbc8d8fhQCLcB/s1600/void%2Binstall%2Blog.jpg>

What happens afterward it that the PC freezes at the bios level. After
processor detection, freeze occurs at memory count, only the letter "M" is
displayed:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T3PNnUgO3fk/WQrn6NszN4I/AAAAAAAAC2I/DIxE5EPQPg4nxtb4P42HTTFlXk0XDUOiQCLcB/s1600/bios%2Bfreeze.jpg>

Void-installer boots fine but as soon as the key with newly installed Void
is plugged in during BIOS screen it freezes.

I tried reinstalling grub manually with verbose output and it doesn't throw
an error:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YiLKCEHGyGE/WQrowWzE2RI/AAAAAAAAC2Q/4kli-ELlYrsR8r_jocwvW_sqiECDaG5pgCLcB/s1600/grub%2Binstall%2Blog.jpg>Just
a bit curious about this part
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YiLKCEHGyGE/WQrowWzE2RI/AAAAAAAAC2Q/4kli-ELlYrsR8r_jocwvW_sqiECDaG5pgCLcB/s1600/grub%2Binstall%2Blog.jpg> --prefix
'(,msdos1)/boot/grub'
Shouldn't there be a device before the comma ?

Digging a bit deeper, I analyzed MBR on that key after dumping it into
nonworking.mbr file:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N2dPfe5gMb4/WQrp5cEhR0I/AAAAAAAAC2c/IV35RNBY24ocfRrnfHn1XZUzB--hePhlgCLcB/s1600/non%2Bworking%2BMBR.jpg>

What strikes me is that huge part full of zero from offsets 10 to 50.
Comparing to a working installation there is plenty of data in that area.

Images were also uploaded here: http://imgur.com/a/deBq0

So I'm turning to your expertise.

If you have any idea or hint I'm all ears.

* Re: failure to boot after install
@ 2017-05-11 12:54 ` Pierre B
From: Pierre B @ 2017-05-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Quick update: I gave Ubuntu 16.04 LTS a spin on that same box and it
resulted in exactly the same situation: a non bootable usb key that freeze
completely said host.
I'm more and more thinking this is linked to more recent versions of Grub.

The Linux that currently runs on it is a Ubuntu 14.xx derivate with an
older grub version.

@ 2017-07-22 11:56   ` Pierre B
From: Pierre B @ 2017-07-22 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux