Void Linux discussion
* failure to boot after install
@ 2017-05-04  8:52 Pierre B
From: Pierre B @ 2017-05-04  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I have strange case of a machine where Voidlinux fails to install correctly.

Let me start by saying that I'm using Voidlinux on several computers/VMs
and I'm now getting used to setting it up.
Still there is this one computer where I can't figure out what's going on.
I'm installing the OS to a usb stick and the computer in question is a
Core2Quad running on a X38 motherboard.
Also note that a different flavor of Linux installs and runs fine on it.

The install procedure itself completes without error:
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s6nlWys386o/WQrnVQndiVI/AAAAAAAAC18/trGL4VhsLYQvompN7UDEgXgorbc8d8fhQCLcB/s1600/void%2Binstall%2Blog.jpg>

What happens afterward it that the PC freezes at the bios level. After
processor detection, freeze occurs at memory count, only the letter "M" is
displayed:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T3PNnUgO3fk/WQrn6NszN4I/AAAAAAAAC2I/DIxE5EPQPg4nxtb4P42HTTFlXk0XDUOiQCLcB/s1600/bios%2Bfreeze.jpg>

Void-installer boots fine but as soon as the key with newly installed Void
is plugged in during BIOS screen it freezes.

I tried reinstalling grub manually with verbose output and it doesn't throw
an error:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YiLKCEHGyGE/WQrowWzE2RI/AAAAAAAAC2Q/4kli-ELlYrsR8r_jocwvW_sqiECDaG5pgCLcB/s1600/grub%2Binstall%2Blog.jpg>Just
a bit curious about this part
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YiLKCEHGyGE/WQrowWzE2RI/AAAAAAAAC2Q/4kli-ELlYrsR8r_jocwvW_sqiECDaG5pgCLcB/s1600/grub%2Binstall%2Blog.jpg> --prefix
'(,msdos1)/boot/grub'
Shouldn't there be a device before the comma ?

Digging a bit deeper, I analyzed MBR on that key after dumping it into
nonworking.mbr file:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N2dPfe5gMb4/WQrp5cEhR0I/AAAAAAAAC2c/IV35RNBY24ocfRrnfHn1XZUzB--hePhlgCLcB/s1600/non%2Bworking%2BMBR.jpg>

What strikes me is that huge part full of zero from offsets 10 to 50.
Comparing to a working installation there is plenty of data in that area.

Images were also uploaded here: http://imgur.com/a/deBq0

So I'm turning to your expertise.

If you have any idea or hint I'm all ears.