in i3 I can use just an F Key (ie f2) and asign it to a shotcut to start an application -- when using the same metholid in dwm it's not working, I have yet to find any documentaion on this. what syntex to use for F keys this is what i am doing in i3 config it's as easy as this bindsym F2 exec --no-startup-id terminology in DWM wm this is what I used, but it is not accepting the syntex a simple F2 static const Rule rules[] = { /* class instance title tags mask isfloating monitor */ { "terminology", NULL, 0, True, -1 }, }; ... static const char *terminologycmd[] = {"terminology", NULL}; ....... { SUPKEY, F2, spawn, {.v = terminologycmd }},