Sorry, I missed your previous post before asking ... Thanks for sharing your knowledge ! If I understand well regarding your example, *cmake* has to be *only* in *hostmakedepends* (and not makedepends) for cross-compiling on x86_64 for armv7 arch. If not, I mean if cmake was listed in makedepends: call of cmake won't work, because its runtime will be an armv7 binary then, that can't be runned on x86_64 arch (which is cross-compiling). So the rule for cross-building is: all stuff that need to be runtimed/executed during the build process (and not only linked/generated) has to be in *hostmakedepends* in order to have the right binary platform type (native and not cross-target architecture). right ?