Void Linux discussion
From: Antonio Malcolm <antonio...@gmail.com>
To: voidlinux@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Can't Achieve A Bootable Void Install On UEFI + BIOS RAID + mdadm
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:03:14 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! OK, concatenating my last few responses, to keep
things organized, as I got this working, now.

After much trial, error, and research, I think the issue may have been in
the way my logic board's firmware detects bootable volumes and maintains
their records in NVRAM-
I'm on a Gigabyte logic board (Aorus X3 laptop), and Gigabyte's UEFI
implementation is know to be a bit janky.

In fact, while the following IS successful, the machine conveniently
"FORGETS" it on reboot:

efibootmgr --create --gpt --disk /dev/md126 --part 1 --label "Void Linux
(GRUB)" --loader '\EFI\void_grub\grubx64.efi'

However, as Manjaro's GRUB install works, and sticks, I started with that,
then installed Void again, per my above procedure, which updates GRUB,
without overwriting the directories Manjaro's GRUB installs.
The difference, between the two, which stands out most, is the presence of
a /BOOT/GRUBX64.EFI file, under /EFI. One issue which has been pointed out,
not necessarily in buggy UEFI implementations, but on boards with Intel
controllers (which my machine uses) is the seeking of directories in a
case-sensitive manner. Nasty stuff. It might be fun to think, because it
still works with Windows, maybe Intel has some conspiracy going on with
them, but the reasoning is probably much dumber than that.

In Manjaro's case, they have a fairly big and broad user base, so it makes
sense for them to "plan for all scenarios".
This benefited me, today, save for having to "clean" my boot directory,
free of anything specific to their install (such as their linux 3.16 kernel
images).

If you like, I can give you a more detailed description of the the /boot
directory, and, if you're up to it, you can adjust your GRUB
install/bootloader setup for the next release.
ALSO, as my procedure for rolling Void out on a BIOS RAID would likely work
for most folks, without the troubles I had, I'm more than happy to clean up
my notes, to add to the WIki, There were some additions I made to the
dracut.conf, to assemble the array on startup. And, we can always add a
footnote about the UEFI stuffs...