I suppose it is possible that there is something peculial about the USB drive that I am trying to install to: Samdung EVO SSD connected via an ORICO USB case. I will try using ann identical USB "pen drive" to the one that I wrote the Void Linux Live image. If so, it would be a pitty as the Samsung SSDs are cool. On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 1:55:11 PM UTC+1, space pudim wrote: > > > If I insert the USB drive with the Void Linux live system, then t boots. > OK, that probably uses syslinux and not GRUB. Installing GRUB on the hard > drive [/dev/sda] always works, so why not /dev/sdb? > > Did you try Void Live on the same USB device you want to install it on? > > I've seen this many times: some devices get listed as "USB Storage", > and some as "USB HDD" (even sticks), and it won't get matched by the > BIOS, even though it's all USB. > > The solution was to select the thing manually from the boot menu - not > the BIOS setup. But then it may be the case that your BIOS is just > unable to boot on that particular device. If you didn't try the Void > Live on the same device, I would advise you to do so. > > -- > Pudding > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "voidlinux" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to voidlinux+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to voidlinux@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/voidlinux/65913539-ccba-45d4-bd63-99faa66a3bc8%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.