Void Linux discussion
* how to get permissions to capture tcp sockets wlan0
@ 2015-11-19 15:52 Userx Xbw
From: Userx Xbw @ 2015-11-19 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I installed miruo for wifi monitoring playing around --- I googled miruo
and all I get is Asian writting even in GIT i don't speak that let alone
read it.. I am getting this error when trying to run it off the command
line

[userx@voided ~]$ miruo
miruo_init_pcap: [error] wlan0: You don't have permission to capture on
that device (socket: Operation not permitted) wlan0

how do I set that up?
this is the groups I belong to so far
[userx@voided ~]$ groups
userx wheel lp users

and these are all of the groups I have on box
[userx@voided ~]$ cat /etc/group
root:x:0:
bin:x:1:
sys:x:2:
kmem:x:3:
wheel:x:4:userx
tty:x:5:
tape:x:6:
daemon:x:7:
floppy:x:8:
disk:x:9:
lp:x:10:userx
dialout:x:11:
audio:x:12:pulse
video:x:13:
utmp:x:14:
adm:x:15:
cdrom:x:16:
optical:x:17:
mail:x:18:
storage:x:19:
scanner:x:20:
network:x:21:
kvm:x:24:
input:x:25:
nogroup:x:99:
users:x:100:userx
xbuilder:x:101:
dbus:x:22:
lxdm:x:999:
polkitd:x:998:
pulse-access:x:997:
pulse:x:996:
rtkit:x:995:
uuidd:x:994:
userx:x:1000:userx
usbmux:x:993:

-------------------------------------
so what do I got a do to get this up and running now???

thanks

* Re: how to get permissions to capture tcp sockets wlan0
@ 2015-11-19 16:22 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2015-11-19 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Userx Xbw; +Cc: voidlinux

Userx Xbw <use...@gmail.com> writes:

> I installed miruo for wifi monitoring playing around --- I googled miruo
> and all I get is Asian writting even in GIT i don't speak that let alone
> read it.. I am getting this error when trying to run it off the command
> line
>
> [userx@voided ~]$ miruo
> miruo_init_pcap: [error] wlan0: You don't have permission to capture on
> that device (socket: Operation not permitted) wlan0

It only runs as root, I guess.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneuk...@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org