On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:28:24 AM UTC-4, Christian Neukirchen wrote: > > Donald Allen > writes: > > > Installation (not downloading) of texlive-bin-2015_1 is very, very slow. > > It's a big package, but I've done this on this same machine (2.5 Ghz AMD > > dual-core processor, 4GB, 7200 rpm disk, / on an ext4 file-system) with > > Arch (configured similarly) in far less time. > > Yes, this is because TeXLive's tlmgr is slow. > > Arch actually repacked TeXLive, but we chose not to do that due to > lack of manpower and immediate outdatedness. > Thank you for the explanation. It's good to know that this is not something inherent in the package manager, which is what I was concerned about. If it's specific to texlive, then that's not a problem for me. > > -- > Christian Neukirchen > > http://chneukirchen.org >