Void Linux discussion
* xbps-src reposync error
@ 2018-12-25  5:23 Jonathan Schultz
From: Jonathan Schultz @ 2018-12-25  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Hello all,

I'm a newcomer to voidlinux, which I'm running under Docker for the purpose of building some packages with musl.

Today I tried for the first time to build a package (fontconfig-devel) following the instructions here: https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Xbps-src

But when I get to the stage of trying to actually build the package (which at this stage is still completely unmodified) I get the following output:

> $ ./xbps-src pkg fontconfig-devel
> [*] Updating `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/musl/x86_64-musl-repodata' ...
> x86_64-musl-repodata: 1636KB [avg rate: 811KB/s]
> [*] Updating `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/musl/nonfree/x86_64-musl-repodata' ...
> [*] Updating `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-musl-repodata' ...
> ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-musl-repodata': Not Found
> [*] Updating `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/nonfree/x86_64-musl-repodata' ...
> ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/nonfree/x86_64-musl-repodata': Not Found
> [*] Updating `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/aarch64/x86_64-musl-repodata' ...
> ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/aarch64/x86_64-musl-repodata': Not Found
> ERROR unshare (Operation not permitted)

It seems that for some reason the script is trying to sync with the wrong repository URL?

Many thanks for any help or pointers.

Jonathan

* Re: xbps-src reposync error
@ 2018-12-25 14:05 ` Leah Neukirchen
From: Leah Neukirchen @ 2018-12-25 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Jonathan Schultz <jonathan@schultz.la> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm a newcomer to voidlinux, which I'm running under Docker for the
> purpose of building some packages with musl.
>
> Today I tried for the first time to build a package (fontconfig-devel)
> following the instructions here: https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Xbps-src
>
> But when I get to the stage of trying to actually build the package
> (which at this stage is still completely unmodified) I get the
> following output:
>
>> $ ./xbps-src pkg fontconfig-devel
>> [*] Updating
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/musl/x86_64-musl-repodata'
>> x86_64-musl-repodata: 1636KB [avg rate: 811KB/s]
>> [*] Updating
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/musl/nonfree/x86_64-musl-repodata'
>> [*] Updating
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-musl-repodata'
>> ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-musl-repodata':
>> Not Found
>> [*] Updating
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/nonfree/x86_64-musl-repodata'
>> ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/nonfree/x86_64-musl-repodata':
>> Not Found
>> [*] Updating
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/aarch64/x86_64-musl-repodata'
>> ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file
>> `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/aarch64/x86_64-musl-repodata':
>> Not Found

These errors are irrelevant.

>> ERROR unshare (Operation not permitted)

This is the actual error: unshare does not have setgid (or you are not
in the group).

> It seems that for some reason the script is trying to sync with the
> wrong repository URL?
>
> Many thanks for any help or pointers.
>
> Jonathan

hth,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  http://leah.zone

* Re: xbps-src reposync error
@ 2018-12-26  5:34   ` Jonathan Schultz
From: Jonathan Schultz @ 2018-12-26  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen; +Cc: voidlinux

>> ERROR unshare (Operation not permitted)
>
> This is the actual error: unshare does not have setgid (or you are not
> in the group).

I believe the error is actually related to running xbps-src inside a Docker
container, as setting setgid, or running as root make no difference. For
the record, after much trial-and-error I have managed to find a combination
that works. It required running the container as user root, and with both
the --privileged and --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN options.

However I have not entirely given up on finding a simpler solution. One
promising route seemed to be to use the proot utility, which works in
userspace, thus potentially avoiding all these permission problems. However
when I try building using proot I see the following:

> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating MakefileI the following:
> mv: cannot move './confT6XesZ/out' to 'Makefile': No such file or
directory
> config.status: error: could not create Makefileerrors

I've had a bit of a go at reverse engineering the xbps-src build process,
but found it all a bit confusing, so wondering if anyone might have seen
something like this before.

Thanks as always.

* Re: xbps-src reposync error
@ 2018-12-26 15:30     ` Aleksey Tulinov
From: Aleksey Tulinov @ 2018-12-26 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schultz; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen, voidlinux

I saw something similar before: https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/2981

Although it was WSL-related, user namespaces something something.

ср, 26 дек. 2018 г. в 08:34, Jonathan Schultz <jonathan@imatix.com>:

>> This is the actual error: unshare does not have setgid (or you are not
>> in the group).
>

> I believe the error is actually related to running xbps-src inside a Docker container, as setting setgid, or running as root make no difference. For the record, after much trial-and-error I have managed to find a combination that works. It required running the container as user root, and with both the --privileged and --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN options.
>
> However I have not entirely given up on finding a simpler solution. One promising route seemed to be to use the proot utility, which works in userspace, thus potentially avoiding all these permission problems. However when I try building using proot I see the following:
>
> > configure: creating ./config.status
> > config.status: creating MakefileI the following:
> > mv: cannot move './confT6XesZ/out' to 'Makefile': No such file or directory
> > config.status: error: could not create Makefileerrors
>
> I've had a bit of a go at reverse engineering the xbps-src build process, but found it all a bit confusing, so wondering if anyone might have seen something like this before.
>
> Thanks as always.
>
> --

* Re: xbps-src reposync error
@ 2018-12-27 14:40       ` Jonathan Schultz
From: Jonathan Schultz @ 2018-12-27 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksey Tulinov, Jonathan Schultz; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen, voidlinux

OK so I found the problem with proot. It's been fixed (very recently) upstream: https://github.com/proot-me/PRoot/pull/149 But as the discussion here: https://github.com/proot-me/PRoot/issues/127 reveals, they have some sticking points on making new releases, so the fix won't find its way downstream until those have been resolved.

I've applied the patches myself (using the work-around described below), and sure enough I can now use proot to build void packages as a non-privileged user under Docker.

If anyone thinks its worthwhile I can submit the patches as a pull request to void-linux, but otherwise probably just wait for things to work themselves out upstream.

Cheers, Jonathan