Void Linux discussion
* Enelightenment .29.5_4 causes seg faults
@ 2015-07-23 21:19 Userx Xbw
From: Userx Xbw @ 2015-07-23 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I installed the update to Enelightenment to from 19.5_3 to 19.5_4 and
started getting segmiation faults just setting there watching a video --
more than once to the point of I just said screw this, becuse one cannot
reenstall an old version that i know of I just dummped the whole system and
reenisted it then put Enelightenment on hold for updating.

how can it be said it is stable to upgrade everyday and to put trust into
this system for the upgrades / dates to be stable. when it causes
segmentation faults after installing them?

makes me leary in ever updating anything especailly E19.5 ....

* Re: Enelightenment .29.5_4 causes seg faults
@ 2015-07-24  7:04 ` Stefan Mühlinghaus
From: Stefan Mühlinghaus @ 2015-07-24  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux; +Cc: use...

Please keep in mind that all work on void is done by volunteers, some of
which are maintaining hundrets and even thousands of packages. In that
regard it is impossible to extensively test every new version of every
package, especially if the maintainers are not actively using them
themselfs. When you encounter a problem like this please report it here
(like you did) or in the GitHub issue tracker
<https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues>.

As for downgrading, the process is a little fiddly. I usually create a
temporary repository, add the older package from the xbps package cache to
it and that use that repository to force-downgrade the currenty installed
package. Something like this:

mkdir /tmp/repo
cp /var/cache/xbps/<packagefilename>.xbps* /tmp/repo/
cd /tmp/repo
xbps-rindex -a <packagefilename>.xbps
xbps-install --repository=/tmp/repo -f <package>

* Re: Enelightenment .29.5_4 causes seg faults
@ 2015-07-24 13:11   ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2015-07-24 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Mühlinghaus; +Cc: voidlinux, use...

Stefan Mühlinghaus <master...@googlemail.com> writes:

> Please keep in mind that all work on void is done by volunteers, some of
> which are maintaining hundrets and even thousands of packages. In that
> regard it is impossible to extensively test every new version of every
> package, especially if the maintainers are not actively using them
> themselfs. When you encounter a problem like this please report it here
> (like you did) or in the GitHub issue tracker
> <https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues>.
>
> As for downgrading, the process is a little fiddly. I usually create a
> temporary repository, add the older package from the xbps package cache to
> it and that use that repository to force-downgrade the currenty installed
> package. Something like this:
>
> mkdir /tmp/repo
> cp /var/cache/xbps/<packagefilename>.xbps* /tmp/repo/
> cd /tmp/repo
> xbps-rindex -a <packagefilename>.xbps
> xbps-install --repository=/tmp/repo -f <package>

xbps-install xtools
xdowngrade /var/cache/xbps/$file.xbps

:)

--