Void Linux discussion
* xbps-install of texlive very slow
@ 2015-10-01 12:22 Donald Allen
From: Donald Allen @ 2015-10-01 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Installation (not downloading) of texlive-bin-2015_1 is very, very slow.
It's a big package, but I've done this on this same machine (2.5 Ghz AMD
dual-core processor, 4GB, 7200 rpm disk, / on an ext4 file-system) with
Arch (configured similarly) in far less time.

* Re: xbps-install of texlive very slow
@ 2015-10-01 12:28 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2015-10-01 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald Allen; +Cc: voidlinux

Donald Allen <donald...@gmail.com> writes:

> Installation (not downloading) of texlive-bin-2015_1 is very, very slow.
> It's a big package, but I've done this on this same machine (2.5 Ghz AMD
> dual-core processor, 4GB, 7200 rpm disk, / on an ext4 file-system) with
> Arch (configured similarly) in far less time.

Yes, this is because TeXLive's tlmgr is slow.

Arch actually repacked TeXLive, but we chose not to do that due to
lack of manpower and immediate outdatedness.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneuk...@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: xbps-install of texlive very slow
@ 2015-10-01 14:15   ` Donald Allen
From: Donald Allen @ 2015-10-01 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux; +Cc: donald...

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:28:24 AM UTC-4, Christian Neukirchen
wrote:

> Donald Allen <dona...@gmail.com <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > Installation (not downloading) of texlive-bin-2015_1 is very, very slow.
> > It's a big package, but I've done this on this same machine (2.5 Ghz AMD
> > dual-core processor, 4GB, 7200 rpm disk, / on an ext4 file-system) with
> > Arch (configured similarly) in far less time.
>
> Yes, this is because TeXLive's tlmgr is slow.
>
> Arch actually repacked TeXLive, but we chose not to do that due to
> lack of manpower and immediate outdatedness.

Thank you for the explanation. It's good to know that this is not something
inherent in the package manager, which is what I was concerned about. If
it's specific to texlive, then that's not a problem for me.

@ 2015-10-01 14:20     ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2015-10-01 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald Allen; +Cc: voidlinux

Donald Allen <donald...@gmail.com> writes:

>> Donald Allen <dona...@gmail.com <javascript:>> writes:
>>
>> > Installation (not downloading) of texlive-bin-2015_1 is very, very slow.
>> > It's a big package, but I've done this on this same machine (2.5 Ghz AMD
>> > dual-core processor, 4GB, 7200 rpm disk, / on an ext4 file-system) with
>> > Arch (configured similarly) in far less time.
>>
>> Yes, this is because TeXLive's tlmgr is slow.
>>
>> Arch actually repacked TeXLive, but we chose not to do that due to
>> lack of manpower and immediate outdatedness.
>>

> Thank you for the explanation. It's good to know that this is not something
> inherent in the package manager, which is what I was concerned about. If
> it's specific to texlive, then that's not a problem for me.

Yes, the package only contains the real TeXLive installer, which is slow.
However since you only update it once a year, this was not a reason to
spend much time speeding it up.

XBPS itself is amongst the fastest package managers I've used.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneuk...@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org