Void Linux discussion
* How to set a new user?
@ 2015-10-15 20:21 André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz @ 2015-10-15 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Hi, I've just installed Void Linux in a virtual machine from its liveCD
(X86_64 version, with LXDE), for testing purposes; I'm looking for a distro
"systemd free" to, eventually, replace my current desktop system (Mageia)
and, so far, I'm very impressed and hopeful with Void Linux! Both liveCDs
I've got ('flavours' LXDE, and XFCE with "musl") run so fast they look
already installed in the HD! Quite impressive!!

However, I've some doubts; after installed LXDE version at a VirtualBox
virtual machine, when trying o run it for the first time, I've found that
there was only root user defined; there's no common uses set during
installing process...

In the initial screen, the system requires user login. I tried to login as
anon with default password, but it failed. I did login as root user (" su
"), with the password I set during installing (that text only installing
tool is much more simple than graphical tools I'm used with using Mageia
and other distros... but it works!). Being a KDE user (running Mageia), I'm
not used with LCDE sessions, and just don't know where/how to set a common
user, once login as "su" is not a good policy, even when working in a
virtual machine...! I couldn't find yet any graphical tool to set a new
user and other system settings, should I make this through a terminal?

I have other doubts about setting the system, especially some related to
multi-language input in Void Linux (with ibus), but I shall wait to clarify
such topics after have solved basic settings of the system.
I look forward to have a sooner reply from you, folks!
Regards!

* Re: How to set a new user?
@ 2015-10-15 21:39 ` Steve Prybylx
       [not found]   ` <20151016130852.6e65eeda5dbfd698031cea3d@t-online.de>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Prybylx @ 2015-10-15 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Yes, you can, and should, add your new user via terminal or tty.

> # useradd -m <USERNAME>

# passwd <USERNAME>

 Is the simplest form.

Check out https://github.com/voidlinux/documentation/wiki/Quickstart and
https://github.com/voidlinux/documentation/wiki/configuration for more
information.

On Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 4:21:10 PM UTC-4, André Luiz Duarte de
Queiroz wrote:

> Hi, I've just installed Void Linux in a virtual machine from its liveCD
> (X86_64 version, with LXDE), for testing purposes; I'm looking for a distro
> "systemd free" to, eventually, replace my current desktop system (Mageia)
> and, so far, I'm very impressed and hopeful with Void Linux! Both liveCDs
> I've got ('flavours' LXDE, and XFCE with "musl") run so fast they look
> already installed in the HD! Quite impressive!!
>
> However, I've some doubts; after installed LXDE version at a VirtualBox
> virtual machine, when trying o run it for the first time, I've found that
> there was only root user defined; there's no common uses set during
> installing process...
>
> In the initial screen, the system requires user login. I tried to login as
> anon with default password, but it failed. I did login as root user (" su
> "), with the password I set during installing (that text only installing
> tool is much more simple than graphical tools I'm used with using Mageia
> and other distros... but it works!). Being a KDE user (running Mageia), I'm
> not used with LCDE sessions, and just don't know where/how to set a common
> user, once login as "su" is not a good policy, even when working in a
> virtual machine...! I couldn't find yet any graphical tool to set a new
> user and other system settings, should I make this through a terminal?
>
> I have other doubts about setting the system, especially some related to
> multi-language input in Void Linux (with ibus), but I shall wait to clarify
> such topics after have solved basic settings of the system.
> I look forward to have a sooner reply from you, folks!
> Regards!

* Re: How to set a new user?
       [not found]   ` <20151016130852.6e65eeda5dbfd698031cea3d@t-online.de>
@ 2015-10-16 11:15     ` Googlemail
From: Googlemail @ 2015-10-16 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux; +Cc: Steve Prybylx

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:39:13 -0700 (PDT)
> Steve Prybylx <sa.pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, you can, and should, add your new user via terminal or tty.
> > >
> > > # useradd -m <USERNAME>
> >
> > # passwd <USERNAME>
> >
> >  Is the simplest form.
> >
> > Check out https://github.com/voidlinux/documentation/wiki/Quickstart and
> > https://github.com/voidlinux/documentation/wiki/configuration for more
> > information.

 dont forget to add your user(s) to some group(s) ... depends on your needs ... here's "my" config

 root@your_machine:/etc# grep your_user group
 wheel:x:4:your_user
 floppy:x:8:your_user
 dialout:x:11:your_user
 audio:x:12:pulse,your_user
 video:x:13:your_user
 cdrom:x:16:your_user
 scanner:x:20:your_user
 network:x:21:your_user
 kvm:x:24:your_user
 users:x:100:your_user
 pulse-access:x:997:your_user
 your_user:x:1000:
 wireshark:x:992:your_user
 clamav:x:991:your_user
 socklog:x:989:your_user

 if you want to use sudo, the you also have to change sudoers (visudo) ... i use the group "wheel" for it ... but mostly "sudo" ist used for

 ##
 ## User privilege specification
 ##
 root ALL=(ALL) ALL

 ## Uncomment to allow members of group wheel to execute any command
 %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

 ## Same thing without a password
 # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

 ## Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to execute any command
 # %sudo	ALL=(ALL) ALL

> > On Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 4:21:10 PM UTC-4, André Luiz Duarte de
> > Queiroz wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, I've just installed Void Linux in a virtual machine from its liveCD
> > > (X86_64 version, with LXDE), for testing purposes; I'm looking for a distro
> > > "systemd free" to, eventually, replace my current desktop system (Mageia)
> > > and, so far, I'm very impressed and hopeful with Void Linux! Both liveCDs
> > > I've got ('flavours' LXDE, and XFCE with "musl") run so fast they look
> > > already installed in the HD! Quite impressive!!
> > >
> > > However, I've some doubts; after installed LXDE version at a VirtualBox
> > > virtual machine, when trying o run it for the first time, I've found that
> > > there was only root user defined; there's no common uses set during
> > > installing process...
> > >
> > > In the initial screen, the system requires user login. I tried to login as
> > > anon with default password, but it failed. I did login as root user (" su
> > > "), with the password I set during installing (that text only installing
> > > tool is much more simple than graphical tools I'm used with using Mageia
> > > and other distros... but it works!). Being a KDE user (running Mageia), I'm
> > > not used with LCDE sessions, and just don't know where/how to set a common
> > > user, once login as "su" is not a good policy, even when working in a
> > > virtual machine...! I couldn't find yet any graphical tool to set a new
> > > user and other system settings, should I make this through a terminal?
> > >
> > > I have other doubts about setting the system, especially some related to
> > > multi-language input in Void Linux (with ibus), but I shall wait to clarify
> > > such topics after have solved basic settings of the system.
> > > I look forward to have a sooner reply from you, folks!
> > > Regards!
> > >

> > --

Cheers
  Thorsten

--
Googlemail <myha...@googlemail.com>

--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der

* Re: How to set a new user?
@ 2015-10-16 12:53       ` André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz
From: André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz @ 2015-10-16 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux; +Cc: sa.pr...

Thanks, folks! I’ll do it as you suggest. But, with one thing learnt, other
doubts raise. Thorsten, In your example about users’ groups config:

 root@your_machine:/etc# grep your_users group
  wheel:x:4:your_user
  floppy:x:8:your_user
  dialout:x:11:your_user
  audio:x:12:pulse,your_user
  video:x:13:your_user
  cdrom:x:16:your_user
  scanner:x:20:your_user
  network:x:21:your_user
  kvm:x:24:your_user
  users:x:100:your_user
  pulse-access:x:997:your_user
  your_user:x:1000:
  wireshark:x:992:your_user
  clamav:x:991:your_user
  socklog:x:989:your_user

Could you explain what each group is? What they do, exactly? I’m not
familiar with ‘wireshark’, ‘clamav’ and ‘soklog’ (I might say I’m no longer
a newbie , but I’m still far from being experienced with ‘the guts’ of
Linux systems…!); further, what are those numbers after ‘x’ in each line?...

Regards!

Em sexta-feira, 16 de outubro de 2015 06:15:57 UTC-3, Thorsten
Johannvorderbrueggen escreveu:

> [...]
> installing
> Mageia
> Mageia), I'm
> common
> new
> terminal?

> related to
> clarify
> > > >

> > > --
> <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/voidlinux/a22ff542-c0fe-4908-93a9-e66cb9802340%40googlegroups.com.

> Cheers
>   Thorsten
>
> --
> Googlemail <myh...@googlemail.com <javascript:>>
>
> --
> Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
> sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der
> Werbung sowie der Markt- oder Meinungsforschung.

@ 2015-10-16 14:58 ` Stefan Mühlinghaus
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Mühlinghaus @ 2015-10-16 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

The groups on your system will probably vary somewhat from that list since
you will have diffent software installed and without the software that uses
the groups having them is quite pointless. That means you should not just
create groups on your system that are not already there.

Serveral groups just allow access to some hardware on your system. These
are for example *floppy, dialout, audio, video, cdrom, scanner, network*.
You need to add your user to these groups if that kind of hardware exists
and your user needs access to it.
*audio*, *video*, *cdrom* and *scanner* are probably good ideas.
Networking is usually established by root during boot so your user probably
will not need to be in *network* or *dialout*.
You need to be in the *kvm* group if you want to use KVM-based virtual
machines.

*wireshark*, *clamav*, *socklog* and *pulse-access* are really only
relevant if you are using the corresponding software and then it depends on
the software what it actually means to be in the group. Wireshark is a
network protocol analyzer, ClamAV is a virus scanner and Socklog a system
message logger. If you do not have/use these programs you do not need to be
in their groups. You you are using PulseAudio for audio on your system it
may be a good idea for your user to be in the *pulse-access* group to gain
access to the PulseAudio server.

If you create a new user it usually gets its own group with the same name
as the user itself. What the members of this group can or cannot do is
completely up to you. You may also add your user to the *users* group but
unless you explicitly give this group any special meaning it does not give
you any advantages.

The *wheel* group is used by *su* and *sudo* to determine who may gain root
access via these commands. If you want that your user should be in *wheel*.
You however also need to configure that behaviour in /etc/sudoers.

I hope this clarifies a few things :)

* Re: How to set a new user?
@ 2015-10-16 17:22   ` André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz
From: André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz @ 2015-10-16 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Mühlinghaus; +Cc: voidlinux

Thank you, Stefan! This clarifies a few things, and a lot of others too!! ;)

It seems I'll learn very much about Linux and its 'guts' moving to Void
Linux, what is a fine irony, since I was looking for a distro 'simpler'
than my current one, and which 'just works' ! So far, I've got my share of
troubles with "*systemd*" implementations (I lost TWO HDs due to errors
related to it!...), and I was willing to find a "systemd free" distro which
isn't too much complicated to install and configure! I think I found it! :)

Now, its' a question of free time and *easy mind* to sit at my desktop,
start my VM with Void Linux/LXDE, make all personal settings I want and, if
successful, install Void Linux "officially" at a partition in my 500 GB
Hard Drive! BTW, can I maintain my current '/home' partition (from my
current  system, Mageia) without any haslle ?...

Regards to all!

:

> The groups on your system will probably vary somewhat from that list since
> you will have diffent software installed and without the software that uses
> the groups having them is quite pointless. That means you should not just
> create groups on your system that are not already there.
>
> Serveral groups just allow access to some hardware on your system. These
> are for example *floppy, dialout, audio, video, cdrom, scanner, network*.
> You need to add your user to these groups if that kind of hardware exists
> and your user needs access to it.
> *audio*, *video*, *cdrom* and *scanner* are probably good ideas.
> Networking is usually established by root during boot so your user
> probably will not need to be in *network* or *dialout*.
> You need to be in the *kvm* group if you want to use KVM-based virtual
> machines.
>
> *wireshark*, *clamav*, *socklog* and *pulse-access* are really only
> relevant if you are using the corresponding software and then it depends on
> the software what it actually means to be in the group. Wireshark is a
> network protocol analyzer, ClamAV is a virus scanner and Socklog a system
> message logger. If you do not have/use these programs you do not need to be
> in their groups. You you are using PulseAudio for audio on your system it
> may be a good idea for your user to be in the *pulse-access* group to
> gain access to the PulseAudio server.
>
> If you create a new user it usually gets its own group with the same name
> as the user itself. What the members of this group can or cannot do is
> completely up to you. You may also add your user to the *users* group but
> unless you explicitly give this group any special meaning it does not give
> you any advantages.
>
> The *wheel* group is used by *su* and *sudo* to determine who may gain
> root access via these commands. If you want that your user should be in
> *wheel*. You however also need to configure that behaviour in
> /etc/sudoers.
>
> I hope this clarifies a few things :)
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/voidlinux/16bad968-2175-4279-94a8-a0d87d8dfa17%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/voidlinux/16bad968-2175-4279-94a8-a0d87d8dfa17%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: How to set a new user?
@ 2015-10-16 17:24   ` André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz
From: André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz @ 2015-10-16 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Thank you, Stefan! This clarifies a few things, and a lot of others too!! ;)

It seems I'll learn very much about Linux and its 'guts' moving to Void
Linux, what is a fine irony, since I was looking for a distro 'simpler'
than my current one, and which 'just works' ! So far, I've got my share of
troubles with "*systemd*" implementations (I lost TWO HDs due to errors
related to it!...), and I was willing to find a "systemd free" distro which
isn't too much complicated to install and configure! I think I found it! :)

Now, its' a question of free time and *easy mind* to sit at my desktop,
start my VM with Void Linux/LXDE, make all personal settings I want and, if
successful, install Void Linux "officially" at a partition in my 500 GB
Hard Drive! BTW, can I maintain my current '/home' partition (from my
current  system, Mageia) without any hassle ?...

Regards to all!

Em sexta-feira, 16 de outubro de 2015 11:58:31 UTC-3, Stefan Mühlinghaus
escreveu:

> The groups on your system will probably vary somewhat from that list since
> you will have diffent software installed and without the software that uses
> the groups having them is quite pointless. That means you should not just
> create groups on your system that are not already there.
>
> Serveral groups just allow access to some hardware on your system. These
> are for example *floppy, dialout, audio, video, cdrom, scanner, network*.
> You need to add your user to these groups if that kind of hardware exists
> and your user needs access to it.
> *audio*, *video*, *cdrom* and *scanner* are probably good ideas.
> Networking is usually established by root during boot so your user
> probably will not need to be in *network* or *dialout*.
> You need to be in the *kvm* group if you want to use KVM-based virtual
> machines.
>
> *wireshark*, *clamav*, *socklog* and *pulse-access* are really only
> relevant if you are using the corresponding software and then it depends on
> the software what it actually means to be in the group. Wireshark is a
> network protocol analyzer, ClamAV is a virus scanner and Socklog a system
> message logger. If you do not have/use these programs you do not need to be
> in their groups. You you are using PulseAudio for audio on your system it
> may be a good idea for your user to be in the *pulse-access* group to
> gain access to the PulseAudio server.
>
> If you create a new user it usually gets its own group with the same name
> as the user itself. What the members of this group can or cannot do is
> completely up to you. You may also add your user to the *users* group but
> unless you explicitly give this group any special meaning it does not give
> you any advantages.
>
> The *wheel* group is used by *su* and *sudo* to determine who may gain
> root access via these commands. If you want that your user should be in
> *wheel*. You however also need to configure that behaviour in
> /etc/sudoers.
>
> I hope this clarifies a few things :)

* Re: How to set a new user?
@ 2015-10-17 10:34 ` Stefan Mühlinghaus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Mühlinghaus @ 2015-10-17 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Void is very much based on freedom of choice. Such freedom can of course be
somewhat intimidating at first, especially since you will need to learn how
to do many things yourself instead of having them working out-of-the-box.
On the other hand you will end up with a system that is exactly how you
want it insead of trying to cater to the masses. It may take a bit of
fiddling and looking things up online but I'm sure you can get things
running the way you want.

Reusing your current home partition should be fine. I have been doing the
same thing through several Linux iterations so far and never encountered
any major problem. Just bear in mind that there are several config- and
cache-files on your home partition that may contain custom settings from
your old Linux system. That should not be a problem though since you can
change any setting later and caches should be updated automatically after a
while. It is only a little problematic if you want to keep using your old
Linux as well and share the home partition between both systems. I am of
the opinion that home directories need some weeding out from time to time
anyway :)

* Re: How to set a new user?
@ 2016-01-29  2:43   ` Userx Xbw
From: Userx Xbw @ 2016-01-29  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

ya know I've read that too, to add your user to all of them groups, but
I've been doing installs of linux Void and others and never bother to add
myself to any of them other then after factory install of apps that need
use to be added and I've had no problems whatsoever in using network (wifi) *audio,
and **floppy  is about obsolet, I'd think, *the most I add myself to is
wheel, and myself group, Vbox as it needs it too, but that is an after
factory install.

so I do put much stock in that idea...

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 9:58:31 AM UTC-5, Stefan Mühlinghaus wrote:

> The groups on your system will probably vary somewhat from that list since
> you will have diffent software installed and without the software that uses
> the groups having them is quite pointless. That means you should not just
> create groups on your system that are not already there.
>
> Serveral groups just allow access to some hardware on your system. These
> are for example *floppy, dialout, audio, video, cdrom, scanner, network*.
> You need to add your user to these groups if that kind of hardware exists
> and your user needs access to it.
> *audio*, *video*, *cdrom* and *scanner* are probably good ideas.
> Networking is usually established by root during boot so your user
> probably will not need to be in *network* or *dialout*.
> You need to be in the *kvm* group if you want to use KVM-based virtual
> machines.
>
> *wireshark*, *clamav*, *socklog* and *pulse-access* are really only
> relevant if you are using the corresponding software and then it depends on
> the software what it actually means to be in the group. Wireshark is a
> network protocol analyzer, ClamAV is a virus scanner and Socklog a system
> message logger. If you do not have/use these programs you do not need to be
> in their groups. You you are using PulseAudio for audio on your system it
> may be a good idea for your user to be in the *pulse-access* group to
> gain access to the PulseAudio server.
>
> If you create a new user it usually gets its own group with the same name
> as the user itself. What the members of this group can or cannot do is
> completely up to you. You may also add your user to the *users* group but
> unless you explicitly give this group any special meaning it does not give
> you any advantages.
>
> The *wheel* group is used by *su* and *sudo* to determine who may gain
> root access via these commands. If you want that your user should be in
> *wheel*. You however also need to configure that behaviour in
> /etc/sudoers.
>
> I hope this clarifies a few things :)

* Re: How to set a new user?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-30 17:58 ` Userx Xbw
From: Userx Xbw @ 2016-01-30 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

yes all you'll get is a ROOT user -- on Vbox or a regualr install...
Because you're the dude or dudette that is in full control of that system,
so logically you're going to have only root user. that is old school, good
school. from there you just create your user or users you want on the
system, then do your superUser duties in providing the user with what he or
she needs to run the system themselves. Ie sudo, and such ... happy days,

On Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 3:21:10 PM UTC-5, André Luiz Duarte de
Queiroz wrote:

> Hi, I've just installed Void Linux in a virtual machine from its liveCD
> (X86_64 version, with LXDE), for testing purposes; I'm looking for a distro
> "systemd free" to, eventually, replace my current desktop system (Mageia)
> and, so far, I'm very impressed and hopeful with Void Linux! Both liveCDs
> I've got ('flavours' LXDE, and XFCE with "musl") run so fast they look
> already installed in the HD! Quite impressive!!
>
> However, I've some doubts; after installed LXDE version at a VirtualBox
> virtual machine, when trying o run it for the first time, I've found that
> there was only root user defined; there's no common uses set during
> installing process...
>
> In the initial screen, the system requires user login. I tried to login as
> anon with default password, but it failed. I did login as root user (" su
> "), with the password I set during installing (that text only installing
> tool is much more simple than graphical tools I'm used with using Mageia
> and other distros... but it works!). Being a KDE user (running Mageia), I'm
> not used with LCDE sessions, and just don't know where/how to set a common
> user, once login as "su" is not a good policy, even when working in a
> virtual machine...! I couldn't find yet any graphical tool to set a new
> user and other system settings, should I make this through a terminal?
>
> I have other doubts about setting the system, especially some related to
> multi-language input in Void Linux (with ibus), but I shall wait to clarify
> such topics after have solved basic settings of the system.
> I look forward to have a sooner reply from you, folks!
> Regards!

* Re: How to set a new user?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-30 18:00 ` Userx Xbw
From: Userx Xbw @ 2016-01-30 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Oh yes in that log in screen .. it looks like a little long white-ist box,
click into there enter root then the password you gave it during installing
it on VBox

Queiroz wrote:

> Hi, I've just installed Void Linux in a virtual machine from its liveCD
> (X86_64 version, with LXDE), for testing purposes; I'm looking for a distro
> "systemd free" to, eventually, replace my current desktop system (Mageia)
> and, so far, I'm very impressed and hopeful with Void Linux! Both liveCDs
> I've got ('flavours' LXDE, and XFCE with "musl") run so fast they look
> already installed in the HD! Quite impressive!!
>
> However, I've some doubts; after installed LXDE version at a VirtualBox
> virtual machine, when trying o run it for the first time, I've found that
> there was only root user defined; there's no common uses set during
> installing process...
>
> In the initial screen, the system requires user login. I tried to login as
> anon with default password, but it failed. I did login as root user (" su
> "), with the password I set during installing (that text only installing
> tool is much more simple than graphical tools I'm used with using Mageia
> and other distros... but it works!). Being a KDE user (running Mageia), I'm
> not used with LCDE sessions, and just don't know where/how to set a common
> user, once login as "su" is not a good policy, even when working in a
> virtual machine...! I couldn't find yet any graphical tool to set a new
> user and other system settings, should I make this through a terminal?
>
> I have other doubts about setting the system, especially some related to
> multi-language input in Void Linux (with ibus), but I shall wait to clarify
> such topics after have solved basic settings of the system.
> I look forward to have a sooner reply from you, folks!
> Regards!

* Re: How to set a new user?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-03 20:34 ` Toribio