Void Linux discussion
* curisiosities about Void
@ 2017-04-18 17:14 gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux)
From: gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux) @ 2017-04-18 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Hi!

My name is Gabriel and I'm the owner of Toca do Tux Youtube channel and
blog which I (also) already intervewed people like Rob Landley (from
Toybox), Rob Russel (from Oh My Zsh), Jonathan Blandford (From Red Hat and
Endless M), Jonathan Thomas (from Openshto) and many others:

   - *https://www.youtube.com/user/tocadotux
   <https://www.youtube.com/user/tocadotux>*
   - *http://www.tocadotux.com.br/* <http://www.tocadotux.com.br/>

Well, I've been using Void and I fell in love with it because of its use of
musl (and because I can use Zsh :)
I have two questions for my own use and for a future video I'm preparing to
promote Void:

   1. About the build system. Void has its own build system. When it says
   build system, does it mean like gnu make and Ninja build?
   2. Repositories: Can we use both of them at the same time (I mean musl
   repository and glibc repository at the same time)?

Hope to hear from you soon guys and thank you for the good work you have
made. I've been enjoing it a lot.

* Re: curisiosities about Void
@ 2017-04-18 17:47 ` Leah Neukirchen
From: Leah Neukirchen @ 2017-04-18 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux); +Cc: voidlinux

"gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux)" <toca...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> My name is Gabriel and I'm the owner of Toca do Tux Youtube channel and
> blog which I (also) already intervewed people like Rob Landley (from
> Toybox), Rob Russel (from Oh My Zsh), Jonathan Blandford (From Red Hat and
> Endless M), Jonathan Thomas (from Openshto) and many others:
>
>    - *https://www.youtube.com/user/tocadotux
>    <https://www.youtube.com/user/tocadotux>*
>    - *http://www.tocadotux.com.br/* <http://www.tocadotux.com.br/>
>
> Well, I've been using Void and I fell in love with it because of its use of
> musl (and because I can use Zsh :)
> I have two questions for my own use and for a future video I'm preparing to
> promote Void:
>
>    1. About the build system. Void has its own build system. When it says
>    build system, does it mean like gnu make and Ninja build?

Well, XBPS is a complicated bash script that tracks dependencies and
builds the packages in order, so you could consider it a very
specialized version of make.

The packages itself are built with thatever upstream uses, so it will
call make or ninja when compiling the programs.

>    2. Repositories: Can we use both of them at the same time (I mean musl
>    repository and glibc repository at the same time)?

No, this is not supported.  It may work with static binaries (and
explicit overriding when installing), but in general, glibc and musl
have different ABI so libraries can't be mixed.

> Hope to hear from you soon guys and thank you for the good work you have
> made. I've been enjoing it a lot.

Thanks,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <le...@vuxu.org>  http://leah.zone

* Re: curisiosities about Void
@ 2017-04-18 18:49   ` gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux)
From: gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux) @ 2017-04-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux; +Cc: toca..., le...

 Thank you for your return Leah. With your answare I got a new question.
You said XBPS is a complicated bash script that tracks dependencies
and builds the packages in order. Can bash be replaced by Zsh?

@ 2017-04-18 20:21     ` Leah Neukirchen
From: Leah Neukirchen @ 2017-04-18 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux); +Cc: voidlinux

"gabriel silveira (aka Toca do Tux)" <toca...@gmail.com> writes:

>  Thank you for your return Leah. With your answare I got a new question.
> You said XBPS is a complicated bash script that tracks dependencies
> and builds the packages in order. Can bash be replaced by Zsh?

The scripts wont work as-is with zsh fairly surely, and we have no
plans to port them.

--

@ 2017-04-18 20:22       ` gabriel silveira
From: gabriel silveira @ 2017-04-18 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)