The only thing holding me back from fully migrating to Void was SSD caching using dm-cache. when setting up my lvm configuration and rebooting, the system would get upset and drop to shell complaining that it didn't know the version of _cache_ kernel module. The problem was twofold: 1) had to force dm-cache kernel module to load in dracut.conf, dm-cache wouldn't load into initramfs without being forced. 2) file /etc/runit/core-services/03-filesystems.sh failed at "vgchange --sysinit -a y" as it needs the command cache_check, a symlink to pdata-tools TL;DR - Solved the problem by forcing dracut to play along, and then installing thin-provisioning-tools from git.