Void Linux discussion
* how do you install brave browser in void?
@ 2018-12-21  0:52 Smo Oey
From: Smo Oey @ 2018-12-21  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Hi all, just wondering if it's possible to install Brave browser in Void
Linux? If so, how? If not, then that sucks and probably can't use Void
linux then.

* Re: how do you install brave browser in void?
@ 2018-12-21  0:58 ` 'Sam Schmalzried' via voidlinux
From: 'Sam Schmalzried' via voidlinux @ 2018-12-21  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smo Oey; +Cc: voidlinux

It doesn't look like Brave is in the void-packages repo (https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages), so it can't be installed via xbps or xbps-src.  However, they do have build instructions in their git repo so you should be able to install it from their source.  Check here to start: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser

Sam Schmalzried

@ 2018-12-21  1:30   ` Smo Oey
From: Smo Oey @ 2018-12-21  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

That sucks, doesn't the whole thing have to be installed on computer not
just normal sized MB worth ?

git clone git@github.com:brave/brave-browser.git
cd brave-browser
npm install

# this takes 30-45 minutes to run
# the Chromium source is downloaded which has a large history
npm run init

Shouldn't be this complicated to install brave browser in Void... >_> Guess
I can't use Void linux then... sucks.

@ 2018-12-21 13:24     ` Leah Neukirchen
From: Leah Neukirchen @ 2018-12-21 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Smo Oey <smooeycom@gmail.com> writes:

> That sucks, doesn't the whole thing have to be installed on computer not
> just normal sized MB worth ?

Just fetch their binaries from
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases

We already build enough chromium based browsers and are not interested
in maintaining yet another.

cu,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  http://leah.zone

* Re: how do you install brave browser in void?
@ 2018-12-21 21:15       ` Smo Oey
From: Smo Oey @ 2018-12-21 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Thanks for reply Leah, yeah I had tried the wget before and it didn't work
for some reason. But could try that again. Being sarcastic, you should drop
all other chromiums and just do Brave as flagship browser lol. :-P /nah,
cause this time next year, I'll probably realize Brave isn't all it's
cracked up to be and I'll be after another privacy browser (Iron, Epic,
etc) lol.

@ 2018-12-21 21:38         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-12-21 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smo Oey; +Cc: voidlinux

even though i agree that webkit and firefox based browsers should be
dropped for privacy reasons, people are obviously providing all kinds
of horrible popular packages without asking me.

if you also want to provide a horrible webkit fork just do the work to
add it to the package repository yourself.

stop complaining or begging for other people to do it.

* Re: how do you install brave browser in void?
@ 2018-12-21 22:13           ` Smo Oey
From: Smo Oey @ 2018-12-21 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I ain't complaining that it's not added, you don't gotta get nasty. I don't
know how to add all that stuff and didn't think any random users could mess
with the voidlinux repos or whatever. If that's how "Devs" act or treat
general users or whatever, then forget Void. Don't need this shit from
anyone.

@ 2018-12-22  5:55             ` 'Sam Schmalzried' via voidlinux
From: 'Sam Schmalzried' via voidlinux @ 2018-12-22  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smo Oey; +Cc: voidlinux

On the topic of adding software to the Void repos, you can find some pretty comprehensive instructions here: https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Xbps-src.  Once you get Brave working on your own machine, you can follow those instructions and it will at least be included in the xbps-src repo which is the easiest way to add software to the project.

As for people being nasty, there's a lot of people on the mailing list who are simple users and not devs for the project, myself included.

Last, in response to hiro: what's wrong with Firefox and FF-based browsers?  Last I checked Mozilla is pretty committed to open source, and what little information collection they have enabled is easy enough to opt out of.

Sam Schmalzried

@ 2018-12-22  9:56               ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-12-22  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Schmalzried; +Cc: Smo Oey, voidlinux

>As for people being nasty, there's a lot of people on the mailing list who are simple users and not devs for the project, myself included.

yep. i don't know why Smo needs to use personal attacks like calling
me "nasty". i'm just telling my personal opinion as a user of this
mailing list, i have no other affiliation to the voidlinux project.

Smo's his first mail made me wonder if he's trying to pressure the
project into providing him services for free, by making it seem like
voidlinux would otherwise lose tons of potentially important users
(like him?).

the rest of the mail is a little rant about web browsers, so skip if
you don't like the topic:

mozilla is financed by google, who would like to make you believe (now
more than ever, with microsoft pulling out of it's own web engine)
there is an alternative to google's monopoly over the web standards.

mozilla will continue to implement whatever standards google declares.
additionally it makes sense they've been using the ad revenue money
they received from google to market their browser as something
ethically superior. google would demand this. they clearly wouldn't
want to risk any painful anti-monopoly policies by any governments.

originally being about presentation, the web is now much more, e.g. a
distributed computing framework to enable a load of commercial
interests that happen to coincide with the consumption of digital and
material products.

it was never supposed to focus strongly on privacy, anonymity or
security in any form, and it is harder than ever to protect against
the many - by-design - data-leaking channels, that only get more
plentyful with rising complexity.

mozilla will not, and does not want to, change that.

@ 2018-12-22 10:50                 ` Smo Oey
From: Smo Oey @ 2018-12-22 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

You were being nasty dumb fuck... I didn't ask anyone to do shit on here. I
was only complaining about the browser not able to install on Void linux.
This was AFTER trying it in other non-systemd OS's and I got fed up with
it. Then for you to say "if you want to provide a horrible webkit fork,
just do the work yourself and stop complaining and begging others to do
it." I didn't beg anyone to shit man. and to imply if I knew how to do it,
i'd provide a horrible webkit fork myself... wtf... you just need to shut
the fuck up. why hop in my post if nothing valuable to add to it.. i'm
still here not able to install it in Void linux... did you provide a "fix"
or to "help" me? Nope.. just insinuating I'm begging others to do it and
I'd provide another crap webkit for it... and why do I keep getting CC in
emails when I unsubscribed from the list hours ago... and deleted previous
posts. Oh, that's right.. because dumb fuck wants to make sure I keep
getting his little jabs at me, to keep me pissed off and blame for shit I
didn't do...how nice mr not helpful but only condescending and belittling
and round about nasty ass.

@ 2018-12-22 11:01                   ` Smo Oey
From: Smo Oey @ 2018-12-22 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

Good people die every day, but not assholes like Mr Hiro.. How about
it Mr Hiro, find steepest cliff and jump off it... Can always walk in
front of a bus. How about committing suicide, self inflicted gun shot
wound always does wonders... go fuck yourself in the ass with a sawed
off double barrel shot gun fuck nut

@ 2018-12-22 14:15                 ` 'Sam Schmalzried' via voidlinux
From: 'Sam Schmalzried' via voidlinux @ 2018-12-22 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux