Void Linux discussion
From: Justin moore <silve...@gmail.com>
To: voidlinux <void...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: proposal: Arch Linux package to xbps
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 09:44:43 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

There seems to be a few if not more than a few package requests asking to package something huge with "dependency hell". This possibly prevents certain users from using the distribution who want to badly but can't because something like kdenlive doesn't exist. To work around this for those who do not want to wait, I propose some kind of arch package conversion tool that can work with the AUR and which works as aa sort of package manager itself.

example: arch2xpbs --aur kdenlive-git plasma-desktop

Obviously, resulting packages would not be officially supported by the Void Linux developers and would not be accepted into the main repository. The question I think is not "is this a good idea" but instead, "is this possible".

I am not familiar with the inner workings of arch pkgbuilds and am not entirely sure this can be done. Also, a greater question is, " if this is possible, would anyone be willing to give it a shot?"

I want to make it clear that you DO NOT want to use such a thing if it were made by me. I still have yet to learn more than bash scripting and would not trust myself to make such a sophisticated tool.

I am very curious what others in thia community think of this. Please let me know what you think and how you feel about it.