Void Linux discussion
 help / Atom feed
* Missing expansion arrows in gtk+3 tree view
@ 2015-09-16 17:05 Donald Allen
  2015-09-16 18:50 ` Duncaen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Donald Allen @ 2015-09-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1300 bytes --]

I have written a personal finance manager (which I call Newcash and which I 
will be releasing on github as soon as I finish the documentation). It is 
gtk+3-based and makes use of gtk's treeview to display the tree of 
accounts. This display normally has little arrows to the left of expandable 
accounts (those accounts in the tree with children). It works correctly on 
Arch Linux, Linux Mint, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and I may have forgotten something 
on which I've tested it. The arrows are missing when I run the application 
on a newly installed Void system. Clicking in the area of the missing 
arrows does expand the account, so that functionality works, but the lack 
of the display of those little icons is unacceptable. I suspect it's due to 
the font chosen by default, but that's pure speculation on my part. And 
anticipating a question, yes, I did completely rebuild my application 
having installed Void's gtk+3 and gtk+3-devel packages.

I really like some of the ideas behind void (particularly the non-use of 
systemd), but it feels like it's not quite ready for prime time. I realize 
that putting a Linux distribution together is a huge amount of work 
involving a gazillion details and so I'm not surprised that Void feels as 
if it's not quite there yet, given its relative youth. 

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 1346 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Missing expansion arrows in gtk+3 tree view
  2015-09-16 17:05 Missing expansion arrows in gtk+3 tree view Donald Allen
@ 2015-09-16 18:50 ` Duncaen
  2015-09-16 20:48   ` Donald Allen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Duncaen @ 2015-09-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1624 bytes --]

You could try gtk3-widget-factory from the gtk+3-demo package.
On Page 3 there is a TreeView (is it the same?) that is working for me, 
they change if i switch the gtk theme.
Which gtk theme do you use currently?

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2015 19:05:43 UTC+2 schrieb Donald Allen:
>
> I have written a personal finance manager (which I call Newcash and which 
> I will be releasing on github as soon as I finish the documentation). It is 
> gtk+3-based and makes use of gtk's treeview to display the tree of 
> accounts. This display normally has little arrows to the left of expandable 
> accounts (those accounts in the tree with children). It works correctly on 
> Arch Linux, Linux Mint, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and I may have forgotten something 
> on which I've tested it. The arrows are missing when I run the application 
> on a newly installed Void system. Clicking in the area of the missing 
> arrows does expand the account, so that functionality works, but the lack 
> of the display of those little icons is unacceptable. I suspect it's due to 
> the font chosen by default, but that's pure speculation on my part. And 
> anticipating a question, yes, I did completely rebuild my application 
> having installed Void's gtk+3 and gtk+3-devel packages.
>
> I really like some of the ideas behind void (particularly the non-use of 
> systemd), but it feels like it's not quite ready for prime time. I realize 
> that putting a Linux distribution together is a huge amount of work 
> involving a gazillion details and so I'm not surprised that Void feels as 
> if it's not quite there yet, given its relative youth. 
>

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 1789 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Missing expansion arrows in gtk+3 tree view
  2015-09-16 18:50 ` Duncaen
@ 2015-09-16 20:48   ` Donald Allen
  2017-04-25 14:30     ` Martin Brodbeck
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Donald Allen @ 2015-09-16 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2550 bytes --]



On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 2:50:38 PM UTC-4, Duncaen wrote:
>
> You could try gtk3-widget-factory from the gtk+3-demo package.
> On Page 3 there is a TreeView (is it the same?)
>

No, not the same. See attached screenshot of the top-level window of my 
application, showing the top of the accounts tree. This screenshot was done 
on an Arch Linux system, so the little expansion arrows are visible, as 
they should be. On the Void system, they are not visible, but clicking the 
blank space where you would expect them to be does expand accounts with 
children. The problem is that you can't distinguish those with children 
from those without (leaves). This is a show-stopper for me.
 

> that is working for me, they change if i switch the gtk theme.
> Which gtk theme do you use currently?
>

I use whatever the default is. According to the Arch Wiki, Adwaita is the 
default for Gtk+3, though it's not clear from their language whether that's 
specific to Arch or a default set by Gtk. In any case, I tried forcing the 
Adwaita theme on Void and it made no difference.

Thanks for trying to help. 

>
> Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2015 19:05:43 UTC+2 schrieb Donald Allen:
>>
>> I have written a personal finance manager (which I call Newcash and which 
>> I will be releasing on github as soon as I finish the documentation). It is 
>> gtk+3-based and makes use of gtk's treeview to display the tree of 
>> accounts. This display normally has little arrows to the left of expandable 
>> accounts (those accounts in the tree with children). It works correctly on 
>> Arch Linux, Linux Mint, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and I may have forgotten something 
>> on which I've tested it. The arrows are missing when I run the application 
>> on a newly installed Void system. Clicking in the area of the missing 
>> arrows does expand the account, so that functionality works, but the lack 
>> of the display of those little icons is unacceptable. I suspect it's due to 
>> the font chosen by default, but that's pure speculation on my part. And 
>> anticipating a question, yes, I did completely rebuild my application 
>> having installed Void's gtk+3 and gtk+3-devel packages.
>>
>> I really like some of the ideas behind void (particularly the non-use of 
>> systemd), but it feels like it's not quite ready for prime time. I realize 
>> that putting a Linux distribution together is a huge amount of work 
>> involving a gazillion details and so I'm not surprised that Void feels as 
>> if it's not quite there yet, given its relative youth. 
>>
>
[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 3172 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: tree.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 2557 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Missing expansion arrows in gtk+3 tree view
  2015-09-16 20:48   ` Donald Allen
@ 2017-04-25 14:30     ` Martin Brodbeck
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Martin Brodbeck @ 2017-04-25 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1600 bytes --]

Donald, did you find a solution for the problem? I'm struggling with the 
same behaviour (only difference is that I use Rust bindings for gtk3).

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2015 19:05:43 UTC+2 schrieb Donald Allen:
>>>
>>> I have written a personal finance manager (which I call Newcash and 
>>> which I will be releasing on github as soon as I finish the documentation). 
>>> It is gtk+3-based and makes use of gtk's treeview to display the tree of 
>>> accounts. This display normally has little arrows to the left of expandable 
>>> accounts (those accounts in the tree with children). It works correctly on 
>>> Arch Linux, Linux Mint, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and I may have forgotten something 
>>> on which I've tested it. The arrows are missing when I run the application 
>>> on a newly installed Void system. Clicking in the area of the missing 
>>> arrows does expand the account, so that functionality works, but the lack 
>>> of the display of those little icons is unacceptable. I suspect it's due to 
>>> the font chosen by default, but that's pure speculation on my part. And 
>>> anticipating a question, yes, I did completely rebuild my application 
>>> having installed Void's gtk+3 and gtk+3-devel packages.
>>>
>>> I really like some of the ideas behind void (particularly the non-use of 
>>> systemd), but it feels like it's not quite ready for prime time. I realize 
>>> that putting a Linux distribution together is a huge amount of work 
>>> involving a gazillion details and so I'm not surprised that Void feels as 
>>> if it's not quite there yet, given its relative youth. 
>>>
>>
[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 2009 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2015-09-16 17:05 Missing expansion arrows in gtk+3 tree view Donald Allen
2015-09-16 18:50 ` Duncaen
2015-09-16 20:48   ` Donald Allen
2017-04-25 14:30     ` Martin Brodbeck

Void Linux discussion

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/voidlinux

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.voidlinux


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox