Void Linux discussion
* Missing expansion arrows in gtk+3 tree view
@ 2015-09-16 17:05 Donald Allen
From: Donald Allen @ 2015-09-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

I have written a personal finance manager (which I call Newcash and which I
will be releasing on github as soon as I finish the documentation). It is
gtk+3-based and makes use of gtk's treeview to display the tree of
accounts. This display normally has little arrows to the left of expandable
accounts (those accounts in the tree with children). It works correctly on
Arch Linux, Linux Mint, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and I may have forgotten something
on which I've tested it. The arrows are missing when I run the application
on a newly installed Void system. Clicking in the area of the missing
arrows does expand the account, so that functionality works, but the lack
of the display of those little icons is unacceptable. I suspect it's due to
the font chosen by default, but that's pure speculation on my part. And
anticipating a question, yes, I did completely rebuild my application
having installed Void's gtk+3 and gtk+3-devel packages.

I really like some of the ideas behind void (particularly the non-use of
systemd), but it feels like it's not quite ready for prime time. I realize
that putting a Linux distribution together is a huge amount of work
involving a gazillion details and so I'm not surprised that Void feels as
if it's not quite there yet, given its relative youth.